Duckbill catfish - Is it real?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TRYINGFORCATS, Feb 1, 2007.

1. TRYINGFORCATS

TRYINGFORCATS New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    HELLO BROTHERS AND SISTERS. MY MOTHER WAS TELLING ME STORIES ABOUT MY GRANDFATHER FISHING IN THE COOSA RIVER AND TALAPOOSA RIVER IN ALABAMA. SHE TOLD ME THAT HE WOULD CATCH 15 AND 20 LB. CATS THAT HE CALLED::::DUCKBILL CATS . DOES ANYONE KNOW

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    My guess would be it was a spoonbill. But what do I know. Good term for em.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    James I have never heard the term Duckbill. I am inclined to agree with George on the Spoonbill.:lol:

4. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    my guess would be the spoonbill, assuming those waters have them. But technically there is a catfish known by the name Duckbill. It is found mostly in two places ... South America and acquariums.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have heard some folks in southern ala call soon bills ,duck bills.

6. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    This is just what ive read, but from what i know, spoonbill only feed on like little plancton and wouldnt take a bait like a catfish would, but i could be wrong

7. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I absolutely agree

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    YEAH THEY'RE PROBABLY REFERRING TO SPOONBILLS, AROUND HERE THE OLD TIMERS REFER TO THEM AS DUCK FISH.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have never heard of a Duckbill Catfish, It could be a spoonbill, or paddlefish.

10. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    spoonbill/paddlefish are not a catfish but their skin and color resembles a catfish but their body skeletal structure is most like a shark. I think the closest relationship to another other fish species is the sturgeon. they're fairly common in a lot of southern states and they don't bite on hooks. the way you catch them is by snagging them with a big treble hook. they feed on the same thing that shad feed on which is zooplankton ... they open their mouths and filter the water through their gills to collect and devour the zooplankton. that's what I've been told anyhow. they don't have a bone skeletal structure ... it's just like a shark's and has only cartilidge. just do a search on google for spoonbill and you'll find lots of pictures of them.

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Yea its a paddle fish Ive heard them called spoons duckbills and belive IT or not they will take a small shinner I saw my grandma catch one in a oxbow lake useing a shinner

12. SassyManxLady

SassyManxLady New Member

State:
    MO

Attached Files:

13. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hi Guys,

I believe that they were probably Paddlefish (Polyodon spathula). In Louisiana they are often called spoonbill cats, but as Tiny said they are not catfish. They are plankton feeder but I have heard of them being caught on bait. I think that it was probably an accidental catch, when they are feeding they swim a round with their wide mouths fully open to pass as much water as possible across their gillrakers. They get really big, over 100 pounds. I found a dead one along the river bank once that was between 4 and 5 feet long. In Louisiana they are considered a threatened species and can not be harvested by recreational or commercial fishermen.

14. Creek6

Creek6 New Member

State:
    OK
    On occassion you catch one by chance while fishing with bait. The spoonbill has its mouth open while feeding and inadvertantly snags itself by swimming into the line.

15. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
  16. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi

Like this one?...

Attached Files:

17. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
  18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We call them Perch in OHIO! lol :eek:oooh: :big_smile: :lol:

19. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
  20. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    They get huge down here in Louisiana. At certain times of the year they jump all the way out of the water kind of like whales do. I guess they shoot towards the surface gathering the zooplankton and just keep going when they reach the surface. It's really amazing when one jumps near you and you see the big paddle on them. You can hear large ones splashing back into the water from at least a quarter of a mile away on a windless day.