duck trot lines???

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Ghost River, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    What size hook works best for holding corn on a duck trot line? any particular style?

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    "Holding corn on a duck trot line"? I can't even begin to imagine what that is. Does it refer to some method of baiting ducks, or trotlining for catfish? You done got me plumb curious.

3. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    Surely you are joking.:confused2::eek:oooh:

4. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Well some folks like a piece of corn pop cereal but I'm more of a traditionalist.

5. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    That's funny:smile2:

6. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Mustad live bait hook, size 1, with about 2-3 kernels per hook. :wink:

:004:

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    If I was a bad enough duck hunter to have to do this,I would never tell!:wink:

Small # 6 Bream hook and soak your corn or you will have to drill a hole in it.Forget the trot line.You get one hooked and it starts flopping around,squawking and scares the rest away.Our tame ducks (Some Muscovy) would eat everything and take a shallow bait of fish as will Coon,Otter and Mink at times.Cut the line and most of the ducks survived OK.I guess their body dissolved the hook.I have come up on a ducks and Geese on peoples "Trot line".Only one no matter how many hooks.They struggle till they die.I would do it if starving,but no other way and then I would rig a drowning set.

I have heard two fellows tell of coming up suddenly on a mad Bear hooked on their set line.Bad,bad,bad way to catch Bears.It makes them very angry!It makes the fishermen very frightened.They were lucky.The Bear went one way and they the other.The fisherman running the motor claimed that it made the other fisherman in the front of the boat smell very bad.He denied it.He claimed the bad smell came from the back of the boat.Some body was lying to us,or BOTH were telling the truth about the source of the smell!

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hilarious, but i bet yellow homony would also work. A 5 gallon bucket full of washed pea gravel and a stick of dynomite would prollly give same results.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
  10. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina

I used to have one of those but sold it. I kept shooting the live decoy ducks as well as the wild birds. It was getting expensive.

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Sadly, it's been done, or at least, it was told for truth.

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Jerry i had one of those mounted to a big cypress stump in Bayou DeView, till it up-rooted it.:eek:oooh:

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    My oldest grandson, who is just learning to shoot a shotgun, asked why those were mounted to the front of the boat (punt). When he saw how the recoil drove the whole boat backward in the water, he quickly figured out that you would get some broken bones if you tried holding it to your shoulder.

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    when we fish for trout, we use biscuit dough. if i don't keep an eye on the kids, they will be casting to ducks. little heathens! :smile2:
    tom knapp is the man.