Duck Hunting

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by daddio, May 10, 2007.

1. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    I have yet to go duck hunting but would like to try it any suggestion's for a newby duck hunter I have a boat and camo I live in Kansas

2. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Scouting is everything. getthere early. Shoot feeding areas in ther morning. Never shoot up a roost.

3. quackingtim

quackingtim New Member

State:
    indiana
    I love hunting in Kansas. The picture of me you see to the left is from the Great Bend area. I do mostly field hunting, but I got a boat blind too. You will never stop learing when it comes to waterfowl. Here is just a few helpful things. Ducks and geese mostly land going into the wind, so set you decoys with the wind at your back. Being hidden is very important. Ducks can see you shiny happy face from far off. Don't shoot them when they are high. All you will do is educate a lot of them, cripple a few, and kill very little. Get a friend and get out there this winter. Duck hunting is a social sport.

Here is few more pics from the great state of Kansas

04kTimgeese.jpg

04kTimRichardson.jpg

04kEthangoosepile.jpg

4. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Best advice I could give ya....find another duck hunter close by and see if you can tag along with him. The knowledge you will gain will save you years of trying to see what works and what don't if you were on your own.

5. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    thanks for the info I need all the help I can get

6. insanedrifter

insanedrifter New Member

State:
    missouri
    I do a lot of duck and goose hunting. Like the others said try to find a buddy to go with. Or some other advice is to start by watching hunting videos. I have learned alot from them. I do recommend 24-7 by zink outdoors, :smile2:and anything by tim grounds or jeff foiles. Good luck.

7. benelli101

benelli101 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    The best advice i could give anyone is to never go. haha Duck hunting is like crack cocaine. Once you start your hooked for life.

8. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I was born and raised in The Great Bend area Duck and Goose hunting at it's best.
    I would scout around and find where they are , toss out a few decoys and call
    a little.
    I used to walk the rivers and jump shoot them also, that is a lot of fun.
    Good luck,
    Mark

9. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    You are about to embark on a sport that you will enjoy the rest of your life. I'v been hunting ducks for over 40 years and still love everything about it. Get a good waterfowl id book, study it. Try to locate the local DU chapter, join it. You will meet guys there that know a lot about duck hunting. Get you a mallard call, a whistle and a good instructional tape. Listen and try to immitate the sounds you hear. Remember, no two ducks sound exactly the same. DOn't worry if you can't sound JUST like the experts on the tapes. They are probably "contest callers" but most are equally good in a duck blind. If you can use a motion wing decoy in your area, do it.
    Now, go find out about that local DU chapter and get involved Good luck.But be warned, for the rest of your life, you'll be a bit sad every year when the ducks head north. but... You will eagerly await their return in the fall! Good Hunting -outdoors writer luke clayton

10. quackingtim

quackingtim New Member

State:
    indiana
    You got that right. It's June and I'm blowing my goose call everyday.

daddio, I know you can figure it out. Like turkey hunting, try something and see how the birds react. Some days you use lots of decoys, some days you use just a few. Some days you call a lot, some days using a call is the worst thing you can do.

11. txcats

txcats New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am already getting the itch to be in the blind

12. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I know what you mean, luckey early goose is only 3 months away.

13. TheCatfishingBoy

TheCatfishingBoy New Member

State:
    NC
    You need to scout all u can so you can get in the right spot to shoot
    If u get in the wrong spot u proably wont even get to shoot unless ur good withe calls

14. bck1006

bck1006 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The 1st thing you need to do is get with someone who has been hunting for a while and let them show you the ropes.If don't have anyone around I live in Missouri and I am a staffer for Foiles Migrators and I would be happy to help you with anything you need.I can recomend videos,calls,gear... You name it am I would be lag to help you out.Thanks and pm me your # and I would be glad to talk to you an answer any questions you may have.

Brian

15. Capt_Culver

Capt_Culver Member

State:
    Ohio
    Duck hunting is my passion....I spend 50-60 days/year afield going after our feathered friends. Like others have mentioned, scouting is the most essential part of duck hunting. If you go without scouting, you are wasting your time. 75% of my duck hunting is spent behind a windshield scouting. If you see birds in a particular corn field, slough ect day after day....get permission and get in there. Chances are that you won't even need a call or decoys. When you are on the "X" the birds will come without any calling or decoys. They are already comfortable with the area. You can also "run traffic". This means that you know where the birds are roosting and you know where they are going....but can't gain access to the properties that the birds are using. Find a field or slough that the birds fly over. You can set up decoys there and the birds will usually work into you. Duck hunting is a VERY ADDICTIVE sport. Once you start, you will have a lifetime of good times ahead of you. There is a ton of information on line and the education part takes years...hell, I am still learning. You have to find someone willing to give you a chance and help you out. The pro staffer that posted before me is a good starting point. I hunt with Zink prostaffers all the time. If you still have more questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

16. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Absolutely the most important thing as stated before. Put the dekes where the ducks want to be and not where you want the ducks to be. If you see ducks resting or feeding while scouting, that's the spot to hunt. Not some place close by that is easier to hunt, have fun this fall.

17. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    Daddio, what part of KS you in? I'm in Olathe/KC area. Get out of the service in sept/oct just in time for the season and I'll be headin back there lookin for some good waterfoul action. I got decoys and a boat, its been 4 years but I think I can still call...pm me if ya want

18. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use only a few decoys at any given time, because i hunt on stock tanks- very small bodies of water. i will also jump tanks and just smoke birds that fly off. it also depends what species of duck you're hunting at the time. in my area, the tx panhandle, we shoot a lot of widgeons and teal early on, then mallards and pintails later on. ducks like teal will come to a teal call, even without decoys. also, if you're still and can do a persistent call, teal will buzz you several times even after you have shot and killed birds out of their flock.

the main advice i would give you, though, is learn to positively identify ducks, for a couple reasons. first, not all duck species are open at the same time, and second, not all are particularly tasty! coots, shovelers, and some others have that distinctive flavor that won't keep you in the habit of eating them.