Duck Hunt from Boat or land???

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by JAYNC, Nov 30, 2006.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have a boat and I still havent found a blind that I either want to build or buy. I guess my question is, do most people just use the boat to get to where they want to hunt or do you have a boat blind. I would much rather hunt from a boat but I guess a pair of waders and decoys are cheaper than a blind and waders and decoys. If you do use the boat just to get to where you are going, how far away do you park it from where you are hunting, and do you try to conceal it. Sorry I have a lot of questions, I am new to duck hunting.

2. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I do all of the above Jason. Successful hunters go where the birds are. Having a boat blind, waders, decoys, etc. allows you to be as mobile as possible. When I'm hunting out of a permanent blind and just using the boat as transportation, I just park the boat down the bank a little ways. It helps to have a fully camo'd paint job in that regards. I just cover up the motor with a motor cover and tie it securley to a tree. When hunting out of the boat itself, I use a Gooseview Duck Island blind. Hope this helps some.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Got a friend at work that is eat up with duck hunting. He is real successful hunting game lands on the resevoirs but he does alot of homework.
    Numerous trips before season just finding the ducks.
    He often times pulls a jon boat behind his 18 foot duck boat so when it gets too shallow he can keep going and going. Depends on where the ducks are as to whether he uses the boats for just transportation or hunts out of them.

Every Saturday morning there is a duck hunt here on the farm if they are in season. Its all done by walking down into the swamp. It sounds like a war for about 10 minutes. Its my Saturday morning alarm clock.

If it were me, I'd venture on down to Hyde county and hire a guide for a day of duck hunting. You'll come home with alot of information you can use around where you are.
    I'm just not into the cold and wet routine and those duck mounts are high priced. Duck meat I absolutely dont care for.
    A 7 foot wingspan swan would look good on the living room wall though.

4. Quackcephus

Quackcephus New Member

State:
    TX
    We "do it" all as that doesn't limit us on gettin' the ducks... duxrus that is some excellent advice :big_smile:

5. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i think here in illinois the only legal way is to hunt from a posted location that is drawn with a floating duck blind and a boat hide built attached or near by not sure but thats what i think

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I live right by the newport river, which has a lot of ducks and geese later in the season. I guess for now I will just get some waders and some decoys and hunt on the shore. I will have to drive the boat there but I will park it a ways from me. Its a boat painted in shadowgrass, so I guess I will just cover the engine and the console with camo. Maybe I will get to shoot some. But here the good hunting isnt till around xmas anyways so I guess I still have a little time to prepare. Is there any way I can get pics of how the frame of that goose view blind is put together so I can possibly build one. I have a side console boat so I am still trying to figure out which will be a good design. Thanks in advance.

7. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    They have some pictures on their website:

http://gooseview.com/gooseview/duck_island2.htm

In the middle of the page there is a link titled "[ CLICK HERE ] FOR DUCK ISLAND™ TESTIMONIALS". Open that up and they have some pictures of the blind they made for me on there. There's a couple that show the frame. It would take quite a bit of home ingenuity to try to duplicate it though. But it's certainly possible.

8. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    They have some pictures but they arent detailed enough for me to go to lowes and buy supplies. Maybe if your up to it you could maybe take some close ups of yours for me. I would really apreciate it.

9. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I hunt rivers a lot here in VA. Been doing it over 35 years. Rule #1, set up where the ducks want to be. When you are on the river and jump a good bunch of ducks, that's a good place to put our decoys. Use your boat to set out decoys, hide the boat, find a spot close to the decoys. If you are absolutely still, working ducks will come into the decoys even if you are barely concealed with no blind.