duck guns

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by dan 1989, Nov 5, 2005.

1. dan 1989

dan 1989 New Member

State:
    oquawka ILL
    whats Your favorite duck gun? mine is a remington 870 wingmaster 16 gauge now lets hear yours

2. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Browning Stalker BPS 12 gauge 3 1/2"...28" barrel....nite sites...camo cap sling. Nylon/Black matte finish. Kinda heavy...has lots of scratches...and has killed more ducks than Bird Flu, Polio, and West Nile combined.

3. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    My old faithful, Remington 1100 semi-auto 12gauge. Its a hard gun to beat for duck or pheasent. I use the same thing in a 20gauge model for dove and quail. Both of them are excellent, very dependable guns.

4. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Nick, I started my duck hunting experience with an 1100 12 ga...and had a LW 1100 20 ga. for dove and quail also. I killed alot of birds with those two guns...but it was absolutely neccessary to keep them clean and free of mud and ice...they would gum up on me in extreme conditions. Almost like shooting a muzzleloader at times. High maintainence in my opinion. I'll never go back from a pump shotgun...I'm just too hard on guns. I break things. :eek:

5. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    my duck gun is a rem 870 super express 28 in barrel it is my multi purpose gun deer duck squrriel rabbit good all around gun

dusty

6. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Used a Special Field BPS for years but that short(20") barrel just sucks for a nice follow through. I now shoot a Benilli Nova which shoots very well for me. Like Brian, I'm real hard on guns and pumps just fit the bill for my level of gun brutality :)

7. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Charlie...I have been seriously considering a Benelli Nova. I love the feel and especially the weight. I see you say you're content with yours. A buddy of mine claims to have had one that would misfire on him in cold weather. I don't recall him ever having one...but he says he did. Do you have any gripes at all about your Nova?

8. Schoe

Schoe New Member

State:
    Moline ILL.
    Years ago before I quit Duck hunting I used a Rem. 1100 3" Mag. and killed lots of ducks very clean. Of course that was before we had to use the Bull#@#@ steel shot.
    I use a Win. Mod. 12 3 " mag now to pop an occasional Goose. Schoe

9. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Brian, the black synthetic ones rust real fast. I just spray painted mine camo and then sealed with 5 coats of Min-wax satin polyurathane, I just touch it up if(when) I get a chip. I've never had a missfire issue, the thing seems to pump itself compared to a BPS and is a 100 times easier to clean than a BPS. If you've ever dropped the guts out of a BPS you know what I'm talking about. I dropped mine in waist deep water(twice) this morning and still had a pair of one shot kills on Mallard drakes.

Only complaint............3.5" just flat stump the crap out of me!! That said, I don't think there is a pumpgun out there that is any less painful. Shot a box and a half on snow geese last season and thought I'd need traction :crying:.

For a 350$ gun I'm totally impressed. 1550fps Federal Speed-shok #3's out of an IC choke is just nasty on ducks out to 40yards. The forearm can be a little "rattlie", but I grew up shooting a Mossberg 500 so it's not an issue with me............I'm all about functional anyway. If you start getting real seriuos about one and want to know more, just give me a yell and I'll give you a call.

Mine has a 26" barrel.

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Benelli SBE with a 26" barrel.

11. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    My two main duck sticks are an SBE and a BPS10. I use the SBE mainly because that BPS10 is a mother to cycle quickly. But it's great for hammerin' geese over fields.

12. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

I shoot a Benelli Nova also,had it for about 4 years.No complaint at all with it.I just duck hunt,no geese,unless they come by us duck hunting.We'll get a stragger every so often.I shoot Estate's #3's,shoot great,pattern great,out of this gun.I've had auto's,over and under,but this gun just fits me
    perfect.
    Leakyboat

13. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    Hey Catcaller, my dad always made me clean my guns before and after any hunting so I have never had a problem with them jamming. I guess if they were left uncleaned then they probably would be pretty bad about jamming and locking up. When I was little I wasn't aloud to do anything after our trips until all the guns were cleaned and stored. That included his guns. I've just always kept up with doing things that way. I do a good thorough cleaning after a hunt, and a quick once over before any hunt. Never had any problems.

14. guthook

guthook New Member

State:
    Paragould AR
    I have several buddys that shoot the nova with no problem, weather, ice, mud and they still shoot fine.

I shoot a benelli sbe, they are a little pricey but never jam. And can run a case of shells without having to clean it.

bought a browning gold 3 1/2 that turned into a single shot unless i cleaned it every day, so i sold that puppy. But rumor has it they enlarged the gas ports and have fixed that problem.

15. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Hey guys...thanks for the input. I appreciate it! I'm looking at getting a Nova after Christmas is all bought and paid for.

16. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I am a winchester man but I am looking harder at getting a nova pump, I wanted to get a winchester 1300 in the shadowgrass but they are like 150 more than a nova, and also the nova can shoot 3 1/2. I think I am going to get the nova, I get the 3 1/2 and the max 4 scheme for 369.00 I hope its a great gun.

17. whisker

whisker New Member

State:
    N.E. Nebrasky
    Just bought the Mossberg 835 ulti-mag this summer and I've done good on doves,pheasants, ducks, and geese with it. I shoot the 1550 3 1/2" # 2's at geese, and the ported barrel really does reduce recoil. I think I'm gonna like that feature come snow goose in the spring conservation season myself! :D