duck blinds question( related to catfishing )

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by 187um, Nov 26, 2009.

1. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    went fishing this morning since we werent eating till 5, and about an hour or so into it i hear this voice say i am supposed to be 200 yrds away or more or else the game warden would write me a ticket. not sure if thats true or not anyone know anything about this subject? i was roughly 120 yards from him if i had to guess a distance.

2. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    OOPS! Double posted. Sorry.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009

3. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    :0a5: :0a21: Why would you want to fish that close to armed hunters looking for game on or just above the water? :crazy: Personally, I would not want to be closer than 400 yards myself. :0a22: If you have never been shot, I recommend not doing so. :cross: JMHO

4. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    i had no idea he was even there. got there at sun up never saw him go in the blind it is my usual spot this is the first time in 2 years that anyone has been with in yelling distance to me.guess i will just have to keep goin till i get my ticket:cool2:

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Rob you will get a ticket the man is right the law states that you can not fish closer than 200 yards to a duck blind it is writen in the fishing reg book.

6. That happened to me up here in SE PA too hoss.:big_smile:

I just put my boat in last year, my normal routine. Hit my favorite spot at the tip of an island in the middle of the river for some catfishing in the shallows.:roll_eyes:

Anchored up, threw out my baits, cracked a cold one open, nature called, did a little tooting, all that fun stuff when you think you are alone out there.:wink:

As it got very dark I said to myself, "Self, that's funny, I don't remeber seeing that many Geese up here before.":confused2: Then, a few moments later in the dark, I heard something splashing in the water and plastic banging together.:eek:oooh: I got spooked and said "Forget this!" and headed back to the ramp, I was really freaked.

Then this boat pulls up behind me at the dock, it looked like a haystack with an outboard and two dudes came off it. Then I figured it out that they were hidden there Goose hunting and I was right there in front of them fishing. That plastic banging noise was them in the water gathering thier friggin decoys!:smile2:

I told them they scared the s**t out of me and I didn't mean to mess up thier hunt and all. They said no problem, there wasn't a bird in sight that day and they had some entertainment!:angry::smile2:

7. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    well good to know i can get a ticket thanx guys guess i will shout over to the blind when i go 2morrow to make sure i aint messin up no ones hunting

8. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    You realize that by posting this thread that the Conservation Officer that was notified can/will use this as proof that you willingly broke the law. Rend Lake?
    I doubt that it makes a difference whether the blind is occupied or not.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  9. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    well if he goes that far as to using this post against me i would say i deserve every stroke of the pen on the ticket.:smile2: thats going above and beyond. no not rend lake not sure if i should tell ya where i am going this morning lol!! cause of all the conservation police out here ha ha ha just kidding i have been going to Old Frankfort Lake. going to go out there in just a while let ya all know how it goes............

10. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Good luck

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

You got nerve,If the law reads 200 yds,it means just that,Thats a blatant disreguard of the law if I ever saw it. Besides just being selfish.The law in your state,I'm sure was ment to keep folks like you safe. use your head instead of your pride.

12. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    yea so finally downloaded the 2009 regulations to see whats the full law described and it actually says 250 yards away not 200 but never the less gonna have to wait till duck season is over before going back to my favorite spot:sad2: so i did end up going to the lake today.....didnt go to the spot with the blinds near by chose a different spot i was hearin gunshots before i even got my stuff unloaded so went to the public access part and did pretty well 2-8lbs 2-5lbs and 1-4lbs so good day all in all. hey Rich........all in good fun man i promise i am not the AL CAPONE of fishing laws and what not just blowin off steam. i do understand what you were tryin say good luck in New Mexico

13. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Man I would not worry about conservation using your post to prosecute you. That is pretty far fetched. I have a hard time getting them to do just about anything. There is like one per county. I would stay the heck away from some rednecks with guns though. Crazy things can happen. If I hear a gun shot or see a blind I get the heck out of there. You never know who you are dealing with. I do believe that you should be able to fish your spot but dont risk your health or legal status to do so. I love fishing as much as the next guy but you just got to watch your behind. Hope you find a spot close by that you knock the heck out of them. A lot of times when someone stops me from fishing where I want I catch more and better fish than the person I moved to get away from. Hope this is your experience as well. All this being said I dont believe that someone in a blind has a right to stop you from fishing in your spot but I guess the law does.

14. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in

Inconsiderate people are why the 250 yard law had to be enacted. I promise you that if you run into some old school duck hunters they WILL be shooting at low flying ducks in your direction and many times the ducks are invisible to fishermen. It is foolish to put yourself in harms way. To be closer than 1/4 mile of someone shooting heavy shot on the water, possibly from a 3 1/2 mag or even a 10 gauge is less than smart. I guarantee the first time you get hit you will wish it had not happened. Is your vision worth the risk? We should not even have this conservation, just be considerate of the other guy. If he is there first, move on. If you are there first, stay put. You fish all year round, Duck season is usually at most 60 days, give everyone a break. The outdoors is for ALL of us, not just some of us.
    :wink:
    By-The-Way, when I was a Conservation Officer, I was always looking for things like this to use as evidence. Just because Officers are spread thin is no reason to think they are not on the job. Why would an Ethical fisherman even consider whether the CO is watching or not. Nor would he argue the point of disobeying a law. Guess we have answered both questions.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  15. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Rob; I know I gave you reps, but I want to publicly thank your for checking the regulations and, although it does conflict with your fishing, abide by them. Besides, 30 pounds of fish isn't a bad day.

16. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well I am glad to hear that Conservation is keeping track of things. The ones around here are pretty lazy for the most part. I have to deal with them from time to time because of my job. I was mearly saying exactly what you were. I was just saying it was more about his Health than the law thing he needed to be worried about. I thought he was there first. You wont catch me anywhere near guys shootin at birds or anything else. All I was saying is that it sucks he has to move from his spot. He was talking about not going out until after the season because of it. To nice out for that you know. I was glad to know the law just in case but you wont catch me anywhere near them He went out and caught him some fish in a different spot so no problem.

17. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    waterfowl season is a cherised tradition in southern illinois. duck hunting is a helluva good time, and people get pretty crazy fighting over prime spots. on opening day at rend, there are actually miles of rigs lined up to hit the water, and if you are not quick to get your boat in and your truck outta the way, people get pretty cranky. and cranky folks with guns are not too fun.but i would recommend trying out the sport for anyone. its a hoot!

18. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i would say it is fun they dont get to hunt as long as i get to fish so i will respect them and stay outa the way when its there time

19. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    alright guys i have re-thought my choices of fishing spots and have decided the outdoors is for everyone hunters, anglers, hikers everyone but for some reason i was like what ever i do what i want!!! but i know thats not right and for those who may have been like .... this guy should be slapped, well slap takin!!! i have decided i am just gonna go to crab orchard where there are no blinds i have ever seen anyway. thanx for all the feedback

20. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    lol Rob i think we all have a adatude prob at times and just need a wake up call :wink: