Dual trolling motors

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Andy52, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Fishing out on the Mississippi yesterday I thought of something that would be nice to have. Dual trolling motors, one bow mounted, one transom mounted. Having a single control unit that turns the motors in opposite directions. Sometimes when drifting downstream I'll get a reverse current that shifts the back of the boat and the bow mounted motor won't keep it straight. Some time the wind does the same thing. Have any of you seen or heard of such a thing?

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    MARK, welcome to the B.O.C. from N.C.

I have not seen a set up like that but it sure sounds like it would work good ,some of the others on here might know how to set it up ,hope u have good luck with the idea :cool2:

3. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    They do have trolling motors that bolt to the cavitation plate of your big motor. They have no shaft or head like a normal motor. They run on a wireless remote you can put anywhere in your boat.When your big motor is running and you are up on plane the trolling motor is out of the water and out of the way.As far as wiring them together I don't know.The cavitation mount motors run from about 500$ to 1500$ from 55 lbs of thrust up to 110 lbs of thrust.It was gonna run about $350 to install the damned thing so I didn't do it.

4. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Thanks for the info, But that won't work on my boat. I have a jet drive there's no cavitation plate to mount it too. The wireless remote is just what I was thinking about to operate both motor so they would turn opposite from each other.

5. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Haven't seen dual set up like that, but have seen duals on the back, one on each side of the motor. Not sure how they wired together, if at all. Just something I seen once at Lake of the Woods up north.

6. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Just as thought I just wrote Minn-Kota and Motorguide to see if they have any answers. You know how this will go.......they will steal my idea. :smile2:

7. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Off topic but, I was wondering if there were any ramps close to Winfield on the Mo side. Wanting to fish 25TW Mon. but the Cuiver Island ramp may be inaccessible due to the Cuiver flash flooding.

8. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Had to work today so I'm a little late in replying. I just crossed over the Cuiver a fews minutes ago and it is really rolling. So Cuiver Island ramp might not be a good choice. There are two ramps between the tale waters of the dam and Cuiver Island. Both are pay ramps however. Both are off HWY N going to the lock and Dam. The First is right after the dam exit. The ramp is actually on Sandy slough which enters the river right at the tale waters. The second is about 1/2 mile after the Winfield Ferry exit. Hope that helps.

9. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    That would be nice to have but I would not know about doing it.

10. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Had you thought about possibly mounting a slide up slide down wide type of paddle on one end of the boat to create drag and let your existing trolling motor work against it in keeping you aligned. could give this job to the one on the boat not getting bites as a test. Just a thought!

11. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Would a drift sock do ya any good? I had two trolling motor on my little boat... one in front and one at the back... when I was at the front, and drifting, and need more power, I flipped a switch and the back motor came on at full speed and added to the power and then my front could handle the direction that I needed to do.

12. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    To funny, do you think they would want to fish with me again?:eek:oooh: But really a rear mounted tiller controlled trolling motor would do the same thing. But someone other then me would have to operate it. There are times when I'm the only one in the boat.:big_smile:

13. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Tried the drift sock, here's the problem with them. When you get into a reverse current, Eddy, switch back or whatever you would like to call it out there on a big river. The drift sock will try to past you up and have a adverse or no effect. Second, with all the debris on the mississippi you'll need about 6 people on your boat to lift it out of the water. :crazy: The motor that I have in mind for the back would not be about more power, just more control.

14. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    i have a trolling motor on the fron and a 3 h.p. in the back and me and my buddy work together to keep the boat stright. at first it seemed hard but after awhile is became habit

15. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Mark could u mount one on the stern that was controled by cables to a set of foot pedals or tiller ,an make u a set of remote switches for off/on an may be a switch to reverse polarity of the power supply for revs.JUST A THOUGHT

16. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Yes you could, For that matter I could buy a digital remote control motor to do the same thing. But all that seems just to complicated. I would have to try and use two sets of controls and fish at the same time. I'm gettin' old I don't know if my mind could handle that many tasks all at once? :crazy: That's the reason I had in mind one control to turn one motor right and the other left, would make for real nice boat handling. Heck you could pivot the boat in its own axis.:big_smile:

17. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Terrova on front with a remote. And the same on back let them run the boat there selfs.
    I have a Terrova on the front and run the foot control to the back of my 1825 Pro Guide Tiller and will be adding a hand control to the back that way I can do what your talking about. I like to be able to run everything from the back.
    Pete

18. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I think it would work, but it would be one more thing that could get caught on something