Dual Purpose Homemade Sinker/ Chum Box.

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by TOPS, Sep 7, 2005.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    From an old Tylenol bottle, drill a small hole into the center of the bottle top, place your main line from your rod thru the small hole of the bottle top, tie on a snap swivel to your main line, add the amount of weight that you wish to use to your snap swivel or to the bottle in its self, drill several holes about the size of a pencil in the body of the bottle(be sure to drill one in the bottom of the bottle) Place as many sardines cooked in oil into the bottle(fill the bottle up with sardines), tie a barrel swivel about 12 to 18 inches above the bottle on your main line, tie your leader with your hook to the barrel swivel. you now, should be ready to tight line fish.

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    great idea, top...sounds like it would be a good way to do a little blood chumming too, liver, etc

i will try that one soon...thanks

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Thanks Phil, I will try to send some pictures if my rig as soon as I can my camera is broken.

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    you know, it struck me when reading about this, you could also slip rig with this method. drill a hole in the lid and bottom of the bottle, and run the line thru both. then tie on your swivel and hook with leader. fill the bottle with desired chum after drilling holes as top suggested and add weight. the line would be able to slip thru the bottle, tho it might have a little friction from the chum

:0a36:

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Phil you are correct but i never thought of that but should work

6. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Thats a really good idea. I think I am going to try this next time i go out. Thanks.

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    rod, did you try this yet? i am going out tomorrow nite and will try it myself - let us know if it worked for you

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Have you guys used the box yet, post and let us know how it worked for you I do good when I use mine.

9. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Thats a great Idea! I'm going to try that when I go out next. Wonder if you can use it for drifting and let a few of them hang over the side of the boat?

10. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    sounds good to me, clarence - but i think i would use maybe a liter soft drink jug over the side of the boat - you could dispense a lot more chum that way

11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    well i had no luck friday nite, but we had to leave early also. i still like the idea and i will try it again

12. Longhorns

Longhorns New Member

State:
    Texas
    Soft drink bottle hanging over the side filled with chum will bring the fish to the boat but the little medicine bottle near your hook will bring the fish to your bait.

13. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Top & Phil,
    I really like the idea of this Tylenol bottle chum setup. Seems to me that this would be a great way to get the scent where it is most wanted.

What are your ideas as to using differant things as chum? The sardines in oil sound reasonable, but what about packing it with stinkbait. Maybe would need to make the holes in the bottle larger.

I guess part of my reason for asking is that I have pretty much switched to using live bait and have lots of jars of stinkbait laying around.

Your thoughts and opinons are appreciated.

Tony
    _