Dry Ice questions

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Pylodictis Olivaris, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Does anyone know if dry ice can be used in the application of fishing....such as keeping cut bait cool in the dog days of summer. I usually use a small cooler and a whole bunch of ice to keep my cut shad on during those 90 degree days on the river but it doesn't seem like it takes long for that to turn into a melted mess. Would dry ice work. What would be the pros and cons of this. I can get my hands on unlimited supplies of this for no cost and I was wondering if I even could put it to use, your thoughts please

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    If you can get it for free and get smaller pieces individually wrapped in paper, Id go for it, wouldnt hurt to invest in a top notch cooler, that will help as well. Just be careful with the stuff, it can leave serious "burns" if you will, I still have a scar on my finger from rubbing against a worn corner of a piece about 20 years ago. Its also fun with the kids to throw small pieces into the water and watch them smoke and bubble, but keep them away from it otherwise.
    Good idea, we always used it for week long camping trips to keep steaks frozen solid until day 5-6 in the week.

Salmonid

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    It works Great to transport dressed fish in so I think it would do for bait:big_smile:

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Buy a better cooler and the ice won't melt so fast.

If you will keep your shad in a plastic bag, you can sprinkle rock salt on the ice to lower the temperature in the cooler. But that shouldn't be necessary.

5. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    dry ice works great... if you have a good cooler, put the dry ice wrapped in a thin towel in the bottom. Cover the bottom of the ice chest. it will last long than ice with out the wettness... we've had it last upto 6 days in the summer, depending on how often you're opening it.

6. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Mr. T hit the nail on the head.... Buy one of those 5 day coolers. They will keep ice for several days. The main thing is to not let the kiddos open it every 5 minutes which is impossible for mine. LOL

Mine holds Ice for 3-4 days even with the kids getting in it all the time. It'll save you money and time in the long run. Hope it helps.

7. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I use ice water with rock salt mixed in it. This will get colder than just ice water and last alot longer. Dry ice will work but as said before you can get burned easy with it

8. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    i got a 5 day cooler by coleman and it really stays cold for 5 -6 days and holds ice for 4-5 days i love it

9. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Dry ice will work fine,especially if you can get it my favorite way....free!!

Crush it up and store in an empty 2 litre soda bottle...make sure you screw the cap on as tight as you can..this will make it last longer:lol: :lol: :lol:

J.K.

Personally,I buy 20 oz. bottled water and store it in my deepfreeze...no mess when it melts-big chunks of ice last longer-and I always have ice cold water to sip on.

10. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    the onely problem with dry ice is if you touch it with out gloves it will burn your skin but other than that its clean and it keeps every thing very cold

11. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Todd, Buy this and all your problems will be solved. I have one and love it. It keeps the bait seperated from the ice and it doesn't get water logged. When the ice melts, just pour the water out and refill.
    http://www.hagensmarine.com/bait_cooler.htm

12. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks everyone....Catfishhunter, I just ordered one of those coolers. Thanks for the link to the website!