Dry Foot Trailering

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by cantstopgrandma, Apr 7, 2008.

1. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Easiest thing would be a pair of rubber knee boots, or hip boots if the water is deep enough.

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think alot of it is your boat type/trailer and pulling vehickle-Your extreme condition boats such as jons-the trailer can be modified and you can doer.....If i have the truck I go to the boat by bed and the van pop dee back door!!!!!!
    Without knowing what you have -set up etc. ????????????????????

3. steelytom

steelytom New Member

State:
    Cola, SC
    I use hip boats, it is just part of my pre-launch routine. Just don't wear them on the boat. They will drag you down if you have to swim.

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    thanks for the tips

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You can add a small walking ramp on the trailer tongue. These can be purchased from Bass Pro Shops and other marine supplys.

6. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Rubber boots in colder weather and no shoes in warmer weather. I am in the same boat most ofter than not, no one to help load or unload. I usually go with the rubber boots. Just be sure they aren't too slick when on wet surfaces.:big_smile::crazy::eek:oooh:

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    sometimes if no one else is on the ramp, i'll cut the truck sharp so i sit at angle. then have a extra 2 ft or so of bumper to walk on.
    gary

8. Tyme2fish

Tyme2fish New Member

State:
    Greenville,Indi
    Is it feasible for you to add an "extension" to your draw bar. My buddy pulls a pontoon that has his receiver bar extra long for ease in turning corners with his tow vehicle.

Other suggestion is buy a pick'em up truck!:big_smile:

9. handyronokc

handyronokc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma ( Central )
    using the same 50ft rope that you launch with,,, Install a chain repair link over the top of the loading winch so that you can slip your launch/load rope through it. back your trailer down close to the water,,, use the Load rope to bring the boat near the back of the trailer,,,,,, run the load rope thru the chain link which will keep the rope centered on the trailer then enter your pull vehicle still holding the load rope,,,, gently back further into the water until you can easily draw the boat onto the trailer ,,, and still holding the boat snug on the trailer ,,, gently pull forward until you can safely and (dry) hook up the load winch.

simple drawing attached ,,,, I hope it will help

Attached Files:

10. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I got some cheap rubber boots from walmart, I think under $20. My trailer was a custom hand made trailer from the owner before me and it sits higher then normal fishing boat trailers so I have to touch the water because I have to back in farther. I use the boots during the winter when I don't want to touch the cold water. I just put them on when I'm loading or unloading, then take them off and put my normal shoes on.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I took some rubber coated welded steel wire mats that we use in hog houses and floored the entire front end of the pontoon trailer. From there I have a
    2 'wide walkway to within 3 feet of the end of the trailer.
    Good way to bust your butt and get seriously hurt is trying to walk on painted steel trailers with wet shoes.
    I'll probally mount one of those triangle shaped tongue boxes to hold the spare tire, spare hub, and spare bearings along with a small bottle jack and the tools needed to do the job.

12. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    I always add 24" to a trailer tongue and then floor the area at the front as per pictures. The tongue board is 8" wide--Front piece is 30" wide and the runner going back under the boat is 14" X 7ft. unloading is a shoot off and loading is just get the back of the trailer under then walk back and hook the hook/strap. I only have to do this when I'm by myself. when Sara is along I back it in and she nails it to the bracket. She's got her good points-the bad ones are she slings stink bait all over the boat and the dog (white dog)

Attached Files: