Dry Fire! Oops!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by ozzy, Oct 9, 2008.

1. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I've been just practicing pulling my bow at home to get more strength. I slipped and dry fired and knocked the peep off and knocked the string off the cam. I was able to get the cable back on the cam wheel. I figure its time for a bow press. I aint talking a shop press $$$, a field press. Now I feel like a dumb bunny. My question is when it came off the cam it split the serving string, photo attached. Can I wrap some more string and seal it or should I just get a new string altogether. :angry: at myself, live and learn.

Attached Files:

2. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    it might be best to take it to a archery shop ozzy, might cost a little but like you said, "you live and learn". there might be a simple step you can overlook that could really pose a problem or something damaged that a beginner cant identify.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    You're probably lucky that's all that happened. I've seen that happen, and it didn't look like fun!:crazy:

4. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    When questioning the string I'd take it to a pro. Last thing you'd want to do is shoot it if the string is compromised. :wink:

5. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    ozzy I wouldn't worry about the serving having a little nick, the serving there is to keep the string from wearing against the cam, as long as serving is there between the string and the cam, its doing its job. If you just can't live with it take it to a pro shop and have them re-serve it, $10 to 15 bucks.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Theres no damage as far as I can tell to the main string, just the server string. Hopefully its a quick fix.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thanks, thats why Im thinking a field bow press, some serving string and a do it yourself job.

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I was trying to get my release to the same lenght as a finger pull, i still had the release on and stupid happened, oh heck at least Ill admit it, lol.

9. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Your lucky thats all it did my cousin had someone dry fire his bow it split one limb and the string came completely off. IMO i would still have it checked by a pro shop and see if everything else is fine and if you did it yourself and they approve then youve learned something.

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Don't take chances with a compound bow. If the string breaks while shooting, it can tear the bow up pretty bad. A bow press is easy to make, and good to have around.

11. JKitterman

JKitterman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You may want to check the condition of your strings and replace them all if you have to take it in. The only problem would be you are well into crunch time right now with hunting season

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I bought a server a few years back from bowhunters warehouse, pretty cheap. Personally i would have it looked at. You don't want it blowing up at full draw and get a broken arrow shaft thru your arm. Prolly isn't anything wrong but would be good insurance knowing it's ok. Also they can check the bushings and axils while they have it in the press.

Jus a tip buddie, KEEP your finger behind the trigger till ya ready to let er rip.:wink:

13. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Ozzy,

This probably isn't what you're going to want to hear, and I haven't looked at all the replies yet. As I stated in another post of mine, I use to bowhunt religiously with some friends. I've had bows since I was 14 years old. My first compound was a bear whitetail.

We did tournament shooting in Arkansas at ranges and outdoor shoots. I've seen many problems happen, and some were severe. After a dry fire, ALWAYS have your limbs checked by a professional if you don't know what you're looking for. A limb can have the smallest crack in it, and break on a future pull. I've seen 4 limb breaks in all my shooting, and only 1 of them came out with a scratch. He was lucky and it only scraped his arm as it went by. One of them got a broken arm, one was rushed to the hospital because it hit his head.

Strings aren't "AS" dangerous but they hurt when they break! I've seen many of these and one of mine broke on me! It hit my arm with enough force that it left a monstrous bruise and I was unable to use that arm without excrutiating pain for a few days... Nothing was broken, but still, you get the point.

I have heard, but never seen much more serious happenings from limb breaks. The safest thing beyond any doubt, is to have it checked before shooting it again... A cracked limb may not break for 50 more shots, but it WILL break sooner or later.

14. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Ozzy! Please listen to what most of the others say, take your bow to a Pro Shop and have it inspected carefully. I have dry fired my bow before to and the string slipped off the cam. Luckily it was a minor fix and no damage to the bow. There can possibly be a minor crack in the limbs, espcially if it is a single limb bow. Cracks can happen at the V-groove at the cam. Some bows require a double-pull press to relieve the tension on the string and cable. They are much safer than a portable press. Portable presses do the job, but I recommend them for someone with experience using them!! Many pro shops might do the job for you at a small fee or possibly free, because they honor you for buying the bow from them.

Trust me!!
    Mark..

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I gonna take it in tomorrow, Im just gonna have that string changed, that way im safe. I dont see anything wrong but will have them look at it to doublecheck.

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Went to BPS, they said the bow was fine but had no string, went to Sportsman warehouse, they said the bow was fine but no string. I found a pro shop and they said it was fine also, no string also but will have it for me on wednesday. Was gonna shoot tomorrow, guess Ill have to break out the fishing pole instead.

17. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I gotta thank all that replied. That small shop I found carries Hoyt and Matthews so Im sure they know what there doing if there licensed to carry there products, plus how could a small shop stay alive unless they have the know how. The 2 guys there were awesome, they charge for services. I dont blame them for charging, just trying to stay alive. Myself, so am I. I bought that field press from BPS which was cheaper than a setup from them. I used it once and paid for it almost. :wink: I just thought it funny that BPS didnt have a string for a branded bow of theres. Funny everyone says its an awesome bow. I think most is smoke, however each his own, I like it so far. The truth will be in a harvest. Ozzy

18. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    You did right by lettin someone look at it. Glad it's okay and you'll be flingin arrows soon i hope.

19. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I saw a bow dry fired one time and it appearred to be fine. The next day the bow exploded at full draw. The cable snapped and the limb split. It hit the guy in the face and almost put his eye out. I was standing right next to him at a 3-D shoot.:crazy:

20. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Ya I think the moral of this story is, if you dry fire a bow it will be embarrising but get the bow checked out. Soon.