Drums/Sheephead for bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by vegasryder, Aug 5, 2006.

1. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Just like the title says...Has anyone ever use them for bait?Cut,live?If cut,how big?If live,how big and where do you hook them?As you can tell, i` m getting pretty desperate here as i`ve yet to catch one(flathead)this year.I`ve been skunked the whole summer even in my honey holes.Actually,the best i can do is 2 small channels out of the 40x i`ve been out.:angry:

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yes Drum are good bait live, never tried them as cut bait. i used a 1-1/2lb Drum once and got a 19lb flattie on it but the best ones are under 1lb . if it swims in the same waters then flatties will eat it!

3. jnjmeyer

jnjmeyer New Member

State:
    Richmond Heights Mo
    Kenny....haven't used drum on purpose, but was fishing off of my dock on the MS river at Hamburg. Had one rod out baited with worms and noticed the rod jumping a little. Thought it was some small cat just fooling around. Got off the chair and as I lifted the rod from the holder, it took off like a train. Pretty swift current, so had a battle for a while. Finally got em in and it was a 15lb flat. Not bad eh, but the end of the story is that he had about half of the rear of a 1 1/2 lb drum sticking out of his mouth. Pulled the drum out and much to my suprise the drum had swallowed the worm and while he was hooked the flat swallowed him. The flat wasn't hooked. Finally got the drum out of his mouth/gullet. Released the flat. The drum had swallowed the bait, so I just threw him back to see if I could catch another flat, but nada. So I guess they do eat drum just like any other bait if they're hungry. Neighbor told me uses them on trotlines along the riprap all the time, and he catch some nice flats.

4. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I think the only downfall to using it is that they dont stay alive that long.My buddies usually catch 10-15 of them evey night we go out fishing for cats.Its funny because they`ll fight for a couple of seconds and then...they just give up.It`s like reeling in a dead bluegill used for bait.But thanks for the response guys...i`m willing to try anything at this point.

5. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I caught my personal best 12lb flathead on cut drum. I don't think that are a very hearty fish!!!

Josh

6. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My best bite ever has been on a 7" live drum (that was still alive after 2 hours on the hook and a previous bite that mangled him a bit).

My baitclicker started screaming, I picked up the rod, set the hook. We fought for a good 5 minutes, but then he hung up my weight. Right afer that he snapped the leader to my weight (50# mono). We fought for another 5 minutes, then he hung up my hook. I never could get him off the bottom of the lake, but I am pretty sure it was a flathead. The only other fish around there big enough to do that kind of fighting are blue cats or alligator gar (and the gar are rather rare).

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I catch pretty good sized ones usually. They just seem to bother the bait that I have out for catfish. Maybe I should try cutting one up sometime.

8. khensu0213

khensu0213 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've tried sheepheads as cut bait, but never gotten anything on them. I've caught a fair amount of channels this year on the fox river in southeast Wisconsin...believe it or not, they've all been on nightcrawlers. Can't seem to catch them on anything else. Haven't hooked into a flattie at all.

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've used them for flathead bait on a couple of occasions up on the Fox River in Illinios. Usually we've used them from about 5-8" big with just as good success as bluegills/sunfish up there. I'm sure they work as fine cutbait too, but I haven't tried it.

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I was usin sheephead last summer, was crappie fishin, kept catchin them bait stealin slobs, so I cut em up and went catfishin. they work pretty good for me, but best when fresh. they ain't worth tryin to make em taste good, not good for eatin at all, but pretty good bait.

11. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Matt said it all i have used drum for bait not any real big one but i like 5-6 inch ones they seem to stay alive pretty good on the hook

12. pinpunch

pinpunch New Member

State:
    ohio
    I know a guy who claims & fishes and lives by the statement that any living thing that comes out of the water; if it is not a catfish it's bait. I can tell you he has proved that to me. If he does not have the time to catch bait before he goes to his favorite spot or to a tournament he catches what ever is there. IT works for him. most times; he will even share bait if he thinks he has more than he needs.:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: