Drum.

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Trahviiz, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I was fishing the White the other night and hooked into a 25in Drum, weighing around 7lbs.

I had just thrown out a small gill and before I even had the chance to set the pole down it about jerked the rod out of my hand, it was so unexpected.

Does anyone else usually catch them around this size? I've caught tons of them and this is the only one I've gotten over about 8 inches.

Attached Files:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    7 pounds is quite large, but I have seen them that big before. Did you use that thing for cut bait

3. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    5 lbs is about the average size we catch them on the ohio cat fishing. I dont eat them but I have heard of people eating but there are a lot of people that eat fish I would never nowingly eat, (carp, gar,dogfish/bowfin, drum) but there are people that do like them. they die realy fast to like a striper not a stringer fish at all if you did keep one I would put it straight on Ice.

4. j-catfish

j-catfish New Member

State:
    Indiana
    a few weeks back I was fishing around downtown on the white and pulled in a total of six drums all in the 4-5# range.I was using crawdads trying for some cats but all I could catch was the drums.Still a fun fight though.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    we have big drum up this way. the biggest i have caught was 12-15#. sometimes they are pests. i never ate one either but hear about it when i release one in town. lol

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thats a dink!! LOL!!!:wink:

I've caught several on the Mississippi River that would be that fish's great-grandpappy so yes they get bigger!:smile2:

Caught my PB drum yesterday as a matter of fact. Never weighed it though but that sucker was huge.

7. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    As always, it went straight back. It's really amusing to hear about all the big ones being caught though. I know the record here is like 30 something, I've just never had any luck catching one close to that size, then again, I don't fish for them. Thanks for all the replies.

8. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    a guy that was fishing with me last summer caught one about 20#s .. that thing fought like 50#s !!!

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I have a lot of respect for drum, I think they are decent fighters. Biggest one I've caught though was about 6lbs in Lake Shelbyville in Illinois. Never caught one out of the White River, but I usually don't fish downtown and I don't think they are in the river on the northside. I know a guy who eats them and I tried it once and it's not bad, as long as you soak it in milk first (which I do to all my fish to take any sort of muddy river bottom taste outta them). Congrats on the catch.

10. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    We get them that big up in Lake Erie. My uncle is very strict on them since we consider them "garbage fish". He wont net one or allow it in his boat. He says that if that if you net one or drop it in his boat then he wont catch any good fish for the rest of the day.:eek:oooh:

11. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I've got a friend that will take eveyone I catch. She says you take them and boil them in Crab Boil and it's great. Calls it her poor mans Lobster.

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I never seen one that big, but around here one 10 inches is pretty good size. Most are pretty small and are a nusiance. The steal bait, and I've never had one that tasted good. I'm keepin a couple decent size ones this year to let the wife cook, she is better at it than me.

13. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    down here on the ohio we catch them rather frequently. and 8 lb one is very common. last year my ole man caught one that was every bit of 25 lbs. he was flat out huge. we have caught many in the 15+ range tho. I hate catching them. nothing but a bait stealer that gets you excited and dies thirty seconds after you touch them. i know lots of guys that love to catch them with the way they fight. i just hate hopeing i have a big cat only to see a big drum

14. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I would love to catch a 25lb one once at least, it did put up a great fight. I know what you mean though, I thought I had throw it directly in front of a flatty and he took it, it wouldn't be the first time that's happend.

15. Cdbush28

Cdbush28 New Member

State:
    Washington
    In may of this year we had a hoop net that had 74 Drum(perch down south) in it. I would say the average size was 5lbs. It took 4 guys to get it in the boat.

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    you must really like them critters, eh.

17. Cdbush28

Cdbush28 New Member

State:
    Washington
    We let them all go. I can't say that i care for them to much.

18. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I love to fish for drum, then again I love fishing for any so called trash fish, gar, drum,etc. Not many people go after trash fish so the odds are usually pretty good for hooking a big one. I hooked into a #6 that jumped and fought better then any bass I have ever caught. Drum get really big and put up an unbelievable fight.They also make really good bait.

19. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    The drum family contains mostly saltwater fish: white sea bass, weakfish, red fish, and in North America; the freshwater drum. A drum that weighted 40.5 lbs. was caught out of the Lake of the Ozarks in 1980. Properly cared for they taste pretty good. I caught a few this week and threw them on ice until I cleaned them.

20. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    remember that one i caught that one day adam ... that thing was huge. thought it was a cat. untill i got it in.