Drum:

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by kat in the hat, Sep 7, 2007.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anybody on here keep, and eat drum/white perch/sheep's head? Just wonderin' because there is a guy that I fish with that acts like they are some sort of prize when he catches one. We can unhook a 20# off one hook, then the next will be a drum, and he gets all ecstatic about it. He says they are great eating. Judging by their smell, I have my doubts. Kinda like eating giant shad IMO.

2. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    If I catch a couple pound drum, I'll keep and eat it?
    I fix it like the rest of my fish and I think it taste all right?
    It does have a different smell and taste, but still taste OK.

Ken

3. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    shad actually tastes good. we have annual shad frys around here. you just goota get the big 5 pound ones

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've never personally eaten drum, but I would be willing to try it. Lot of guys I talk to say it isn't bad.

5. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Freshwater Drum have been caught up to 40 lb. in Mo. Usually you catch 1-5 lb. Drum can be delicious if kept alive until they are cleaned or put immediately on ice. They can be prepared pretty much any way. This week I grilled some in bacon grease and they were great. I generally soak my fish in water before I cook them. :tounge_out:

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Never tried them. I either throw them back in the water or use them for cut bait if fairly small.

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    not a thing wrong with the ol dumb drum....pretty good on the grill, baked, fryed...LOL, maybe even sushi..... yep try one some time they are good eatin, catch them on crawdads around here. If ya get a biggen cut the pearl out of his head too!

8. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Sushi? You are more of a man than I. I can't stand the smell of them. I don't doubt that they are edible, but I won't clean them. I occasionally chunk one up for bait though.

I have eaten blackened redfish. Redfish is a saltwater drum right? Do they taste the same? Anybody know?

9. Techno2000

Techno2000 Member

State:
    New Orleans,LA
    Redfish are Drum, Blackdrum are Drum (saltwater) and Gaspergoo are Frashwater
    Drum. I caught a goo out the Mississippi river one time and it tasted so bad I had to spit it out.

10. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    I have a buddy that like that he says he would eat a drum before he eat a catfish, I just use them for cut bait but I want to know one thing did you really get to stand by OZZY

11. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    This guy says they taste better than catfish, and his eyes light up when we catch one. Could taste like apple pie, but I would never know 'cause I ain't eatin' it.

No, I haven't had my picture taken with Ozzy. Just a good photoshop job. It has started a few conversations though. I got to shake Vinnie Paul's hand, and the singer from Static-X asked me if I had anything to smoke that he could purchase. Those are the only 2 times I've talked to a rock star.

12. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I have ate drum most of my life and it is not bad eating. There are lots of people around here that actually fishes for them and keeps them.

13. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    I play em,but never ate em(just joking) Actually,I thought they were too much like carp

14. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i eat it and its not all that bad, not great, but not that bad

15. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well did ya? :smile2: Give hime some drum fillets:tounge_out: Sides it looks more like yer holding the OZ up than standing next to him.....:wink:

16. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Water conditions,temperature and what fish are feeding on affects the taste of all fish in salt and fresh water.They are like mammals,fowl and reptiles.We have a stink bug that gives fish and the frogs legs a bad taste when they feed on them.Still stagnant water does.Winter and summer Red Fish taste different and colder water means firmer flesh in many fish.Many saltwater fish are at their best when feeding on shrimp.Also different people have different taste.This opinion strictly comes from 50+ years of fishing different parts of the world.Experiment with your different fish to find their different flavors.Our Ogeechee and Savannah River fish taste different though they run 30 miles apart.One is black water and the source is the piedmont.The trout streams of the Appalachians is the source of the Savannah,so it's water is much like the Santee.Also your taste will change with age and you will lose much of it with your smell.Chew on a paper towel.The taste is what you will learn to live with if you live long enough.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

17. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Growing up we used to catch a lot of them over by sisters house in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, on the Mississippi. We decided to try them once and was probably the second worst tasting fishing fish I've put into my mouth. BUT...a lot of people from that area say the same thing. A lot of that area is backwater, and they don't have the "rock based" forage that they do in a lot of smaller rivers in the area, where I've heard they taste better. Like PeeWee said, what they eat seems to have an affect on their flavor, but more so than any other fish I've come across.

18. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    They are kind of rubbery to me. But I know of some folks who do eat Drum. They fillet the Drum and cut into strips . Boil these in Shrimp and Crab Boil. Drain and dip in Cocktail Sauce. They call it '' Poor Boy's Shrimp ''
    I perfer Gar over Drum , but they also are more like meat and are'nt fishy tasting. I've filleted and sliced into steaks , fried like Catfish. Some folks did'nt know the difference. I called it Sabertoothed Catfish. Ha!Ha!

19. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    sabretoothed catfish,:smile2:

20. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Ditto! That IS hillarious!