drum

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by indiana_fishin, Nov 22, 2005.

1. indiana_fishin

indiana_fishin New Member

State:
    Indiana Baby
    any of u guys fish 4 drum?I;ve caught a few small ones in my life in creeks and my mom has landed monsters in creeks,these were all on nightcrawlers.Where do u guys catch;em and wut bait?

2. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I have caught some drum on cutbait while catfishing. A big one will put up a good fight. My neighbor lady says they are great eating.

3. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    i dont know where ur at in indiana but the st joe river in south bend area is loaded with drum(sheepshead). Get some cheap, 40-50 ct shrimp from walmart in the seafood area. they come in a 2lb bag for 7bux or so. use them whole or in half with a small (no.2) kahle hook on bottom. There's another place in Marion In, theres a dam there that has a bunch. Ive seen some very large one on the jeffersonville side of the ohio river in indiana..West end of wabash river, where it joins white r i think...cant remember. Wolf lake in whiting indiana(near S. Chicago)...thats bout all the places i can remember.

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    March,2005 issue of IN-FISHERMANhas a good article on them.
    Don't know if its on line.

5. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I catch these like crazy in my local creek on night crwalers. If ya want some bigguns just go to lake erie and go smallmouth fishing and your bound to catch a bunch on crank baits.

6. webster_catman

webster_catman New Member

State:
    webster
    i catch them things all the time on the mononguhalea river with just about any bait, if u wanna catch the big ones use cut creek chubs

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    world record-54.5#,Nickjack,Tn.
    Ind.state record-30#,white river

8. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i agree with jarret (webster catman)
    we have caught them on a variety of baits and rigs
    titelined bobberfixed or slipped it didnt matter
    minnows ,chubs, shrimp,( royal shops where i do ):D

crawlers you name it ive never targeted them they just happen
    to get caught while im trying to land catfish or stripers .
    they do put up a good fight for sure,

9. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    Sometimes they'll drive you crazy on the Mississippi it you use worms. When I use cut bait I tend to catch larger drum, and get fooled thinking that I have hooked the cat which I am trying to catch! There are many species of drum, but all are saltwater except the one that we catch so often. The saltwater versions are considered good eating, but the local drum are so common few people in this area eat them. Sometimes during the summer, their meat has worms in it, so check. It does not seem to be such a problem in cooler weather and the larger ones are good eating. I have collected a few of the stones (otiliths) from larger drum. They are supposed to bring good luck? I have thought of trying to have the stones made into a good luck jewelry, but have not found the right idea yet. Anyone have thoughts on this? Good Luck Hannibal Mike

10. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana