Drum

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by unclebuncle, Feb 26, 2009.

1. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    At least in my part of the country a lot of people sneer at drum and call them trash fish.A lot of people even throw them out on the bank.I think that most of them that say that have never eaten one but are just repeating what they've heard.I like drum to eat and to catch.They've given me lots of action when nothing else would.If I only have 1/2 hr I can drop a yellow jig in at the dam and catch several.It seems like in the last few years the average size has gotten bigger in the Neosho river too.Its not uncommon to catch a lot of them between 5 and 10 lbs.My two biggest were 20 lb.A lot of people think they're scavenger fish but I catch most of mine on artificials or helgramites.Any more drum fans out there?

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    We have them here in Okla. If you fish with worms you can catch a lot of then. They are considered a "rough" fish. I have used them for bait. Flatheads like them.

4. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    We have them here in Okla. If you fish with worms you can catch a lot of then. They are considered a "rough" fish. I have used them for bait. Flatheads like them.

5. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A lot of eating freshwater drum must have to do with their diet in the river you catch them at. We catch a lot of them back in Iowa on crawlers, crayfish, minnows, and they'll hit a jig and grub pretty well too. I did, however, try to eat a few as a kid, and it was honestly the only fish I tried were I couldn't finish one fillet! I've heard quite a few other people say they are good, but it's gotta be the waters they come from. The ones I had were VERY strong and fishy to the point of being almost pungent and bitter. Like I said, down here on the coast, I love fish that most people who don't like "natural" fish flavor don't like, such as bluefish, red drum and black drum. But that time I tried freshwater drum I'll NEVER forget!

7. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A lot of eating freshwater drum must have to do with their diet in the river you catch them at. We catch a lot of them back in Iowa on crawlers, crayfish, minnows, and they'll hit a jig and grub pretty well too. I did, however, try to eat a few as a kid, and it was honestly the only fish I tried were I couldn't finish one fillet! I've heard quite a few other people say they are good, but it's gotta be the waters they come from. The ones I had were VERY strong and fishy to the point of being almost pungent and bitter. Like I said, down here on the coast, I love fish that most people who don't like "natural" fish flavor don't like, such as bluefish, red drum and black drum. But that time I tried freshwater drum I'll NEVER forget!

Love catching those things though!

8. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have never fished for drum but have caught a lot of them. I have never
    had a drum fry. But years ago when we were fishing for crappie, cats, or
    something else and caught some drum they went in the livewell with the
    other fish. All the fish would be eaten and all were delicious.

9. russKC

russKC New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY MO
    I like to fish for them whenever I am not catching anything else. They love worms. The smaller ones do make good bait but I have never ate one. I plan on keeping one around 5 lbs or so to try it out.

10. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Drum (Gasper goo) We eat them all the time down here in Louisiana. Fillet them up like crappie and its hard to tell the difference. Meat is extremely white with no bones. We normally fry crappie fillets with a few gasper goo fillets mixed in. You cannot tell the difference.

11. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    Where I fish for walleye I use a 1 oz. spoon most of the time.if you start catching drum the walleye are close.I keep the walleye and give the drum to a freind. he filets the fish then grids them in meat grinder to take care of the little bones and makes fish patties.makes a mixture of corn meal & cajin spice fries them they aer good.

12. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I totally agree if anyone hasnt eaten them I reccommend it.They are especially good for kids because they are so willing to bite and they can catch something bigger than perch.Another way I like to eat them is with lots of cajun spice and grill them.

13. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Drum is a fish that needs to go on ice as soon as possible to keep it fresh in warm weather. Don't let them die in the livewell.

14. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    As far as I'm concerned there the best fish out there, when catfish aren't biting at least the drum are.

15. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Thats a popular misconception there are no more bones in a drum than there is in crappie.

16. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    We've ate quite few in the spring, they seem to get wormy around here in JULY or so. We've used them for cut bait too and live bait, trapping bait too. Wife's aunt and uncle eat them all year long. They even can them for use in the winter. They are alot of fun when nothin else is biting, kids love to fish for them. Mainly worms in the rivers and creeks around here.

17. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    Ive caught several drum here in ky on crawfish. My biggest is 19 lbs. My dads is 26lbs. He likes to eat them but I do not. I only eat crappie and catfish!! They are fun to catch especially if the cat bite is slow.

18. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Biggest i remember we caught we put in a 5gal bucket and the tail and a foot or so stuck out..10lbs maybe?caughtbigger ones nettin..

19. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    We usually catch some tryin to get crappie or walleye. They are considered a rough fish, and no good. Bait stealers. They provide some action, but I'm not hardly allowed to bring em in the house to clean. I use em for cut bait sometimes, but I kept one to try so I could determine whether or not they still taste as bad as they did 40 years ago. I think that bag of fish got misplaced, I haven't found it yet. I'm about out of last years catfish, time to get some more. Hope to be heading to midwest within a month.

20. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    You proble aready ate them and didn't know the difference.
    Drum are goodno bones in a fillet nice white meat and like anything prep on it is the thing a little salt water soak and there good to go.
    LOOP