Drum - on Purpose?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by huskerkat, May 3, 2008.

1. huskerkat

huskerkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have caught a few drum by accident fishing for cats and carp on the MO River. Liked the fight and loved the meal! Does anyone have any tips for catching them on purpose? I am sure there are plenty of them in the river, and have heard that there are lots in some of the larger reservoirs around here. If a guy were to try to target them, what bait and tactics would he try? I am sure someone has landed a mess of them before, and I would love to know how. Thanks guys.

2. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    My best chance at catching drum is to pretend I am after carp or cats:eek:oooh:

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i always catch them in the spring when the water is high on worms and close to the dams we have or in sand pits in the deep

4. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i caught 2 nice ones this morning fishing for carp. was using power bait corn.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    The last I caught a Drum was when I was fishing for Cats, I caught him on a worm. :smile2:

6. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Two of the best all around baits for Drum are crawdads and plain ole earthworms from your wifes flowerbed.They also like small river shiners and threadfin shad realy well.

Fish them with a carolina rig but stay kinda close to the bank fishing just over the dropoff or find a shallow flat that ends or begins with a gravelbar.

7. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    If I use black twister tail jigs on the bottom, I catch a lot of drum on the Missi. Fish them slow and on the edge of the current. Cut bait works for larger drum, but worms work well for general drum success. Good luck.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i catch them on white twister tails and cut shad. they do love crawdads an awful lot, as was said earlier. i have yet to eat one, i just throw em back. might have to try eating one sometime.

9. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    The one thing you need to remember is to keep them alive or better yet put 'em on ice as soon as you catch them. Otherwise the flavor will deteriorate.

I've caught them mostly on worms but they will take about anything.

10. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    crawdads, if you want to catch drum, crawdads.

11. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Crawdads is by far my bait of choice.

12. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    USUALLY CRAWFISH,BUT AS MY PICTURE SHOWES THIS 11 LBer FELL FOR A 3" SHAD.

13. Migrator83

Migrator83 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I catch alot of drum in tailwater situations, using inline spinners fished slow near the bottom or jig and twister tail combination

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I used to catch them on whole dead shad 3 to 5 inches long.

My grandparents said they tasted good.

15. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    I caught my first drum last year - had never seen one before and didn't know what it was at first, but man was it fun!! I was fishing from the bank using nightcrawlers and they were hanging on the edge of a dropoff, about 35 feet from shore. I kept catching drum for about 2 hours and had a blast. Never eaten any, but I might next time! Have a good time and let us know how it goes.
    Deb

16. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Back in the bayous of Louisiana we always caught them on worms and shrimp and we call them gaspergoo..There hard to clean and have tons of bones...There also one of those types of fish that you need to ice immediately or the meat will become mushy...Other wise there ok to eat and you can catch the crap out of them in the hotter months during the summer..

17. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Small live crawfish works well .

18. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I haven't been able to not catch them this past week. They have been decent size for the area I'm fishiing, up to 14lbs. Better than nothiing stretching my line, but I have never eaten them.........maybe if I could catch them in cool early spring water. I know guys that can't get enough of them.

Richard

19. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I've been taking them on cutbait............if I was fishing the Oswego River off lake Ontario where the big boys are, I would agree that crayfish would be the way to go to catch drum.

Richard

20. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    crayfish are like candy to them, they just have to eat'em. have seen them in clear water pass up other baits to get to the crayfish.