drum for catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by slikk03, Jul 27, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    any body use drum i never used them but i would think an a tail race they would be good since bluegill are a shalow fish and drum are deep them spillway flats stay deep, so drum would be there diet i would think,that would make since , what u think,ps i hate drum

2. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I've used there heads in the past, and did well with them.

3. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    people claim that drum are 1 of flatheads main food source,i cought a 38lb flathead on a trotline once that had a drums tail sticking out it's mouth that had to go 5-8lbs. it looked as if it could barely fit it in it's mouth and the flattie had really bad breath from the half rotted fish:embarassed::crazy::eek:oooh:

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the wters I fish have alot of drum, so you would think they would be a main food scourse for flats...I have tried drum many time live and cut and never got a hit.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have not had any success fishing with this fish. I have tried live/cut to no avail

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've always had pretty good luck on cut drum.

At the same time, I've never caught a fish on cut carp, and some guys swear by it.

Bait's a funny thing.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I caught a pretty good blue on a live drum earlier this year. It's not one of my favorite baits, but sometimes it pays to go with what you can get.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    im thinking if there is alot of them they arent getting eaten. they probally are eating something that youre not finding verry many of in that body of water. i havent cought verry many drum were i fish so it could be a good guess they are getting eaten, and i may want to taret drum to catch for bait.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have caught stripers, channels, and blues on cut drum, but i have never even had a run on live drum. i am one of the cut carp guys! different baits do better in different places i guess.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    All of the small Saltwater Drum species are very good Tidewater Blue cat bait.Ain't worth a hoot inland up the river for any Cats.WHY?. We do not have Freshwater Drum.

The very best way that I know to find out what fish are feeding on is to check out the stomachs of the ones you catch.Sometimes they will spit up things that they have eaten.Area to area on the same river or lake can be different at the same time.Also the time of year.Also they can prefer different things.Sometimes one will be full of one thing,another something else and yet another something else again and all caught out of the same hole.There is a swirl on the Savannah River at the mouth of a old river where this is very common.I assume that much different food is available,new fish moving in or both?

On the lakes of the Santee there are different Rivers and creaks running into it.Some baits were good in the lake and all water waters going into it.Others were bait specific.What was good in one was useless in another for the same fish.WHY?

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

11. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Checking their stomachs is good. Caught some channels this past spring with bellies plumb full of little mussel shells. Poor fellas... their buttholes were opened up to about half inch diameter. That must have been painful to pass mussel shells. Youch

12. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My two biggest flatties (33lb and 40lb) have been on drum heads. They seem to like the head better, no idea why, but it works.

13. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I like to use drum for bait. The lakes I fish are full of them. I just cut them up like a shad. They feel nice and oily to me. I haven't tried the heads, but I think I'll give them a go this weekend. School is back in session, and my favorite lake is finally free of jet ski's. Now I can sit back and relax, have a cigar, and FISH ON!!!! Here's a drum and the sunset from yesterday. Fish on Brothers. Doug

Attached Files:

14. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I've heard a few old timers say they were good bait on the Mississippi river. They would scale the drum and fillet one side and cut it into whatever size strips you need and do the same with the other side.

15. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    So the other night I'm fishing with shad gizzards and the first bite I get is a drum. I've never caught a drum on shad before. So I think "Great, I like using drum for bait." I whip out my trusty filet knife and cut the filets off its sides. I can see its guts and stuff when I notice something shiny. It has a gold chain in its stomach! I think "finally, I'm making money fishing!" I start digging out the chain and it starts falling apart. I pick out the pieces and discover it's plastic. My dreams of fame and fortune are dashed. Seems the drum got the last laugh. Fish on Brothers. Doug :eek:oooh:

16. 1442ncs

1442ncs New Member

State:
    Muhlenburg, KY
    I love using cut drum. Seems to be a lot tougher and the fiddlers don't knock it off to easy. Never tried any live.

17. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    NO GOOD FOR ME. IMO

18. jimmy willaby

jimmy willaby New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I personally have never used drum but , I have used cut Buffalo with great success on Lake Tawakoni. That is what all of the catfish guides use also.
    Some of the guides have been wrote about on this web-site by Luke Clayton.

19. willybob

willybob New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    My wifes 1st flathead had a 6 inch long drum in it's stomach when I cleaned it along with two bluegill about as big a 50 cent peice.