Drum for bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by iam2hi2flyinky, Aug 24, 2007.

1. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i fish the ohio river by cincinnati and my son catches alot of drums 2 to 5 lbs i threw a few of these out there and cought some nice gar with them. has anyone ever use these to catch catfish? and if so do you use it as cut bait or live bait. if anyone has info on this or has tried it let me know please. am i wasting my time or is he catching me some good bait? like i said ive tried these a few times but only caught gar with them, but when i fish for cats i catch gar sometimes anyway.

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Drum makes good bait for catfish. Fillet them out and use the fillets in strips 1or 2 inchs wide by 4 to 8 inchs long. I have caught seveal blues this year on it.

3. iam2hi2flyinky

State:
    kentucky
    thanks spoon i been using them as live bait guess thats why i get the gar? ill give it a try cause my son trows them night crawlers out there and catches the hell out of them drum

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Sometimes, when I can't find shad, I start with worms, and use whatever I catch for cut bait...small cats, drum, and carp, mostly. Drum has consistently been the best producer, so much so that I plan to freeze some in small packs for those times when shad are hard to come by.

5. iam2hi2flyinky

State:
    kentucky
    i do got 1 more ? i never seen alot of drum in the river just here and there why are there so many this year? is it the lack of rain and current? there is just so many the kid catches them at the river like catching bluegill at a lake

6. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I was fishin for other stuff last summer, but kept catchin drum on the minnows, so i cut them up and caught catfish. couldn't seem to catch any walleye, or crappies, but the cats made up for it.

7. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    When you refer to drum are you talking about the white colored ones? I have always called them perch. I am not sure why. They have many bones and I hope these are the drum you are talking about, because in the river they are usually abundant and if they are good bait, all the better. Thanks

8. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    behind truman dam in missouri,i watched a monster blue cat eat mouthfuls of baby drum over and over again,id say they like them just fine.

9. skydiver41

skydiver41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have heard them referred as Stone Perch or Drum...they are one and the same. My fishing parnter caught 3 nice ones Saturday while we were catfishing...I wondered whether or not we should have kept them for cut bait but we threw them back. Next I will give them a try!

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Up where I was fishin they call em sheephead, bait steelin *&^&%%$^&*(), but I remember dip netting some when I was a kid, there ain't no way to make em taste good, so instead of throwin em away, I cut em up, they make good bait them bait stealers.

11. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    anybody got any pics of the things. I never really seen one I don't believe.

12. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    :0a26:DRUM MAKE GREAT CUT BAIT OR LIVE, WHEN WE USE THEM ALIVE WE CUT TAILS JUST TO WHERE THEY DON'T BLEED AND HOOK THEM THROUGH THE EYE'S OR JUST CUT THEM INTO 1/2 TO 2INCH CHUNCKS. WE CATCH CHANNELS ,BLUES AND FLATHEADS ON THEM, AND OF COURSE PESKY GAR.

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Pretty much anything with scales will make excellent catfish bait, live or cut. Just check your regs since some scaled fish are illegal to use as bait.

14. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Yep your right,When I lived in Quincy back in the 70's and used to catch them we always called them white prech,sometimes rock bass among some I can't say on here.:roll_eyes:Then when I moved over here they call the drum.Same fish different names.And yes they make real good cut bait for cats.

15. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    If ya want to make them taste good Fillet them and cut the fillets into 1 inch strips. Boil them in shrimp boil and eat them hot. It's good eatin.

16. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    yes drum are good bait i caught a 28 lb flathead using a 7 inch live drum in the osage river. and the guys that fish off the handicap platform at truman dam catch blues using drum heads.

17. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Drums are real good catfishing bait in this area. I use there heads and cut the rest into chunks. You get the right spot you can catch them just before it gets dark, and have bait for the night.