Drum as live bait for Flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Catmaster, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Something I have never thought about using for flats is drum. I have never herd of anyone using them. I'd think they would be pretty good scence there are alot of them in the river I fish. I'm going to give them a try this year if I can catch any the right size. Anyone have any input about using drum for flathead live bait?

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    we just discussed this on a prvious thread titled "sheepshead", check it out. yes they are VERY good!

3. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Catmaster,

Most excellent, live or cut. Use the little ones live, thru the tail or lips. Cut up the big ones. Flathead candy, and channels like 'em, too.

Dennis

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have tried sheaphead for bait many times, live and cut..I never got a hit.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Last year I was having no luck with the rock bass I caught from a creek. So I put out a nightcrawler on my bait pole to catch something from the river. I caught a 3 to 4lb drum.I thought to myself that thing is waaay to big but since it was that or nothing , I slapped him on and tossed him out. Half an hour later I caught a 25lb flat. Sometimes I forget that any flat over 20 or so pounds can eat anything I can cast out.

6. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I haven't used drum for flats but always catch them & cut 'em up for channels...they love those fresh drum fillets!

7. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i tried one drum first alive then cut, i only got a few bumps

8. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I have, used drum, in osage and Truman lake , good bait as far as iam concern, have caught , flats, on them, I will use the smaller ones any time, for bait, rates next to green sunfish or black perche, as we call them.

9. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I've always wondered it Drum were good bait.
    I'm gonna have to give you all an update, when I give it a shot. There are alot of them in the MN river. No real monsters either.
    Cant wait to get out.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If they're thick in the river then they are being eaten by flatheads. Whatever is plentiful makes for easy feeding. Good luck on your quest.

11. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    I agree...forgive me. I need to get 10 posts so i can view the pics!

12. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    The drum are thick in the river I fish, think I might have to try them out this year.

13. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    I dont think ive ever caught a drum small enough for bait

14. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My son used a 17 Inch Drum last spring on the Ohio Rver near Weirton WV, it sat on the line for close to 9 hours and then around 2 AM in the morning his pole went down hard, he was in for one heck of a fight, after a few minutes the fish let go of his bait. and he brought back in his Drum it was crushed from mid way all the way to the tail.

100% sure it was the nasty ole flathead from the deep !!

Man your catching some huge drums then. lol

15. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Drum are great bait what I use are from 3 to 8 inches, but there hard to come by in that size.
    Loop

16. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I like using drum for bait,have caught several nice Flats and Blues on live drum.They also seem to stay alive and active for a long time,Still prefer gills but drum are #2.

17. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    I have used drum for cutbait but have mainly got channel cat on them.

18. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    When fishing trot lines and a drum bites the bait. Most times there a flathead on there in the am.
    Also most are on flats and within 40ft of the bank.
    Pete

19. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I plan on using Drum for bait this year as they are abundant in the river I fish most often.