Drum as good as walleye? Do the research...

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by dreamcatcher, May 30, 2006.

1. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Here's some info on Sheepshead. My buddy Don says they're taking over the river system in Bay City. Can anybody support the claim in the title?

http://www.sfishinc.com/fisht1.htm

2. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've never ate one, always threw then back. I guess just because I was fishing for Catfish. They may be great eating.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I caught two yesterday while catfishing. They went right back into the water. I was not happy that they ate my bait.

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan

Thats interesting information Vic. Maybe we should get with Don, catch a bunch of them and have a poor mans Walleye fish fry!

5. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Fresh water drum are some of the best loking fillets you will see al nice and white and real tasty, you know red fish are drum also and people rave about them.

SE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE NATIONAL GATHERING

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Way back I ate some (Sheephead) due to hunger :roll_eyes: while fishing Lake Erie ! I heard if put on ice real fast they are even better, It was not bad.

NEXT GIZZARD SHAD!!

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    WE have cooked up a lot of them . The meat is course and that is about the only way to tell them from catfish. There was lots of fish Fry's back around 1975 that was all drum and people bragged on how great the catfish was.
    But they have one thing wrong. Theres plenty of them here that can eat the 8 lb fish they say is the tops for them. Freshwater Drum 54 lbs. 8 oz. Nickajack Reservoir Benny Hull April 20, 1972 This is Tn record.
    And I Bet I have caught one that big or bigger on trotlines back around that time. but we did not care anything about the records.
    AS long as the water is cold. Take a big drum with a fat wide back and cut the meat off. Try it.
    Now after it warms up there not as good.
    Pete

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    We used to cath 'em all the time when I was younger and fishing on Lake Erie in Ohio. We always threw 'em back though. Some anglers hated these fish so much that they would not even release em back into the water because they would just come right back and hit our baits again. Also back then, the water quality in Lake Erie was pretty bad so the general rule was to not eat anything that fed off the bottom and such. I actually caught a nice cat once out of Erie but my uncle made me throw it back cause it would have gotten me sick. As for comparing it to Walleye...I cant see it:confused2: .

9. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    A few years ago, and friend of mine and caught a bunch of them, and took a couple home for his wife to fix up for us. she steamed them whole. head, innards, and all. she served them with vietnamese (sp) fish sauce. never had better fish in my life. moist, flakey. washed them down with a cold one. As far as i am concerned, they DO rank right up there with walleye, and fresh perch fillets.

10. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    If you guys keep talking like this your going to have vic and sparky and sal keeping drum and throwing back catfish!:big_smile:

11. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    You know Don, I think if this fish is caught in the Spring, when the water is a little cooler, and the fish is bleed out and put on Ice, it might be worth while trying for table fare. I mean what could it hurt!
    Sparky

12. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Don,
    It aint our fault that you're so good a fisherman that you can position your boat so perfectly that only the one corner of the stern is pointing where the cats are!

ROTFL!

We're makin Lemonade outta lemons, BAYBEEE!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now how is tht for an excuse!?!? Betcha aint heard that one yet!

13. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    I have never eaten a sheephead and don't plan on it real soon. I catch lots of them while cat fishing or carp fishing. I usually throw them back, except when I want to use them as bait for catfish.

I have actually seen them dressed out to be purchased at the grocery store. I had to do a double take when I walked by them, as I was not expecting to see them there.

14. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

See how it is when fish get a bad rep? LOL. I will cook some up if it's the last thing I do because I LOOOOVE me some walleye and perch.