Drum as bait?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by wizkersNworms, Apr 26, 2006.

1. wizkersNworms

wizkersNworms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    With the vast knowledge accumulated by many of you--I'm sure some of you have tried using small drum, or cut drum for cats--any luck?

This last week caught a ton of small freshwater drum and wondered if they were good as bait.

Thanks for your response.

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    i have used them before, but never had much luck. i have used them alive and cut

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have used them as cut bait and caught some cats. Now, I'll not say they were beating down my door to get caught, but I did catch them. Now, if I were a big, ugly old flathead, I'd not care it it was a bluegill or a drum, as long as it was yummy in the tummy. So, I'd say yes, drum can serve as bait.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    drum are a very good flathead bait if used live. ive used up to 2lb drum and caught 20-25lb flats.

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I used drum one time as bait up on the Fox River. Caught about a 1/2 dozen 6-8" drums while fishing off the dock during the day and used them at night. Ended up catching some nice channels on live drums and with my final drum left at about 3am, something picked it up and busted the hell out of the 40lb test I was using. Either a big flathead or a turtle.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    As you can see from the above posts, live drum are sometimes effective, especially for flatheads. I've tried cut drum on several occasions on trotlines, and I don't think I've ever caught a fish on it.

7. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have had a lot of luck wih cut drum. I catch mostly big channels.

8. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would say it just depends on what the fish like to eat in your area, I too have used cut drum and caught some cats, but then on the other hand I had one that was still alive after 4hrs of fishing and no bites.

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    have Used Cut Chunked Drum For Bait.caught A Few Small Flatties And An Ocasnial Misspelled Turtle. Seems Like It Takes Forever For Them To Take It And Run. If At All. But It Will Work

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Fillet those dudes out and soak them in fish oil and left over skip-jack parts for 3-4 days on ice.....There skin is tougher..fixed this way those cats will knock the fire out of it:) I do it all the time:)

11. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    i have tried cut drum on the mississippi several times. seems like i am wasting my time. it's just hard to beat shad or skips. good luck!!!!!

12. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Just this last SAT.
    I caught a 5lb on a drum gut pocket.
    Cautht a 9lb 5min later same spot with a chunck of drum fillet.

13. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I do beleive that you can catch Cats on almost any cut bait at times. However, I have used Drum on a few occasions. I have had very minimal success with it. I do like the idea of "enhancing" the drum with left over skipjack or possibly even shad parts, juice, oil. It could only make it better.

14. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    I have tried cut and live freshwater drum with no success.
    I was catching cats that night on shad sides ( fillets )
    I hear that these drums are good eating, but I have not
    tried them as the only ones I have caught are from
    the west fork of the white river in Indiana.
    Not a good river to eat fish from. Awsome fishing
    available though.

15. wizkersNworms

wizkersNworms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I appreciate all the response. It appears I will need to "enhance" my drum as the best method--with skip jack--fish oil, etc. Although I have never used drum before, the fact that I was catching a bunch of them made me wonder why the big cats would not also be eating them.

So again, thanks for you input--I'll give it a shot next time out!

16. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Question:

Those of you using live drum for bait, where exactly do you hook them? In the back behind the dorsal fin? By the tail? Mouth? And what size hook? I suppose it depends on the size of the bait. Just curious because places I fish have an abundance of drum and I intend to try them as live bait for some big flatheads. Thanks.

17. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i hook them just like a bluegill, right behind the dorsal. now if i come across a large one, say 3/4lb and up, i'll use a double hook rig. one behind the dorsal and one just barely under the skin right above the head. of course if im bank fishing with anything larger than that i have to take them out in the canoe and drop them.