drum anyone?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by oklahoma caveman, May 10, 2008.

1. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    has anybody ever used drum for catfish bait? cut, whole, live, dead? i can catch or gig tons of drum and just curious if anybody has ever used them for bait

2. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I used it cut last year when I ran out of live chubs and sunfish and caught average sized eaters. It worked to catch fish nonetheless.

3. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    i caught my 2nd fish today off of cut drum. never thought it would have worked. but it did.

4. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have used it lots use the ones about 10 in just like any other bait for the yellow cats. thanks Sam Davis

5. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    If there are freshwater drum in the lake that you fish, cut drum should work
    for you. Cats tend to be shy of anything unusual to them so don't try to
    use goldeneye or skipjack herring in a lake or river that doesn't have them
    as a forage fish. In most of the Brotherhood stuff I've seen there seems
    to be a ranking of cutbait 1. local shad 2. local chub or sucker 3.carp and
    debaitably 4. drum. Why? Drum isn't an oily fleshed fish and doesn't leave
    the powerful scent trail that shad and herring do. But cats don't need
    powerful scents to draw them. Gar and turtles grab chunks of drum just
    like other fish and a wounded drum smells like dinner to the catfish. Why
    are carp favored over drum? I haven't figured that one out yet. For some
    reason the cats just think of carp as a good snack food. Maybe more scent to the flesh?
    Cats have a lot more powerful sense of smell than I can imagine.
    I suppose the answer is in some dusty old journal in the KSU Vet Med library.

6. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Carp flesh is very oily, just like shad. And just like you said above, drum isn't very oily flesh. That oily flesh really gets them cats going, which is why shad is so good - as long as it's native to that water source.

I personally would rank the cut carp as 2nd, right after local cut shad. Then the chubs/suckers. I think panfish like bluegills are better then drum, but I've used them more then drum so that probably has something to do with it.

7. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Hey man:

In my neck of the woods, drum or sheepshead as we call them, are a local delicacy for flatheads. A 10 inch live drum with a large kahle hook through his back will ring the dinner bell for a good-sized flathead. Another approach that guys around here employ is to cut the head off of a drum and put a large hook(preferably a circle sea or octopus) through his eyes. Give it a shot, you may be pleasantly suprised.

8. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i use them alive when i can catch them the right size for flaties

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i ran out of bait one time, last piece caught a drum. i cut the drum up and kept catching blues and channels. i have tried drum other times and caught nothing... every time i catch small drum in the cast net, i already have a bucket of fresh shad, and never end up using the drum! i will one of these days.

10. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    The lakes I fish are full of drum. I caught 4 last night. I always cut them up and use them for bait. I usually catch fish on them. They are tough and stay on the hook well. Doug

Attached Files:

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Those are some nice Drums, Doug.