Drum anyone?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by catman73, Jun 30, 2007.

1. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    Is there a good use for drum other than birdfood? Went out to Clinton spillway Tuesday and Wednesday. I think that I caught every drum in douglas county. At least something was biting I guess. Only caught one small channel. It wasnt even really a cat, more like a kitten. CKR'd him. (caught, kissed, released) No I dont usually kiss a fish but I was so excited to actually see something besides a drum that I had too show some appreciation. Ok heres a question. What is the difference between striper and wiper?? How do you tell them apart? Caught two small ones there also but dont know the difference. Thanks in advance for any help on that one.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    CKR'd, LOL!!!!

You can eat drum if you can get past the stigma that most people have put on them, they are fairly good.

The difference is in the stripes on their sides.

A true striper will have solid stripes.

A wiper will have broken stripes.

3. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
  4. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I've ate drum a lot of times, if you can eat whitebass, you can handle eating drum. To me the fillets look and taste the same.

Doubt your seeing small stripers, more than likely small whitebass and wipers...........haven't been any striper stocked in the area lakes for years.

Go to the KW&P site and look under the fish ID section, big write-up on telling the difference between wiper and whitebass. Charlie

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Use them(drum) for cut bait also! They will work sometimes! :big_smile:

6. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    if ya ask me i think drum taste like bass...dont ever eat em thou they make pretty good bait

7. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Drum are good to eat and when they are running good I tend to keep several and let the rest go, Just like the cats. Infisherman had as article on them a couple of months ago.

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I've ate them in the summer....not as good as when its early spring/late winter.Meat was darker and stronger flavored,keeping them on ice helps greatly.

9. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    I'll take all the drum I can get. Filet them out, and then soak overnight in saltwater. Then either cook them up, or freeze them. To me and my family they taste as good as any other fish out there, plus they'll bite almost anytime!

10. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Have to say after I fillet them I have can not ell them from white bass or hybreds in the same bowl. Just clean the red meat off them taste just like bass.

11. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    theres a lady around here that puts a few trotlines out for drum, every once in awhile youll see her with a stringer of big drum. she lives on the river and whenever im fishing by her house ill take the drum i catch and give em to her and she gives me the catfish she catches on her trot. good tradeoff if you ask me.

12. MetalMayhem

MetalMayhem New Member

State:
    Kansas
    To me, drum don't taste that bad... It's just that they seem slimey. Do you just fry them in batter?

13. deerhunter56

deerhunter56 Guest

drum arent bad at all... and i caught a drum yesterday fishing the missouri river and cut some off put it on hook casted out with'en 10 mins got a bite and what was it a freaking drum lol....

14. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Drum are good as long as you either keep them alive or on ice until you clean them.

15. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey Catman you got any good hot spots on Marion res? Went up there A year ago with no luck.

16. Fishin Freak

Fishin Freak New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The Drum are very good eating fish! i fish El Dorado Spillway when i don't feel like Getting the boat out, and i can get 20-30 drum in about 2 hours on a good day. All you do is Just fillet like a bass ect, then all you do is batter them up like catfish and deep fry em ! alot of people think that it's a bone filled fish like a carp but it's not at all

17. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    white bass have one patch of on their tounge, wippers have two patches:smile2:

18. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    mid west drifter try across from french creek in the trees that are above water, north side of the lake, there is a guy that chums those trees with soebeans weekly rwg:big_smile:l

19. jamminbassplayer

jamminbassplayer New Member

State:
    kansas
    If you're worried about eating any so called "dirty" fish like drum or carp, put a small amount of vinegar in with salt water and soak em overnight. The vinegar supposedly "disgorges" the fish, whatever that means. I did this with a carp and even the dark meat was quite tasty.:roll_eyes:

I haven't tried a drum yet