Drug in Ol Boat - wifes gona shoot me HELP

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Liver Slinger, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Liver Slinger

Liver Slinger New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I may of done the wrong thing but bought an old boat & trailer.

I did not know much about titles the guy that I bought it from signed the title but never regestered it. I guess thats a no no, I hope I can get it straighted out next week.

Im charging my camera to get some pics of the old beater.

Its a Alum. 14ft. V bottom I guess the guy let it fill with water outside and it dinted the bottom where it sits on the roller of the trailer. I think I can stomp it out maybe?

Worried about the Alum. brace at the back of the boat- from transom to the bottom , where it rivets to the transom it is cracked across just under the top rivet. I did not notice till I got it home.

The trailer is not for the boat but think I can work on it and make it work.

I got get this thing fixed up - wife will be all over me till then, really dont know where to start.
    Its nasty ol thing ,I guess first thing I need to do is get it cleaned up .
    Just hope I could get some advise and will get some pics.
    Thanks

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Welcome abooard! Good luck with the wife and the new project:eek:oooh:. Lots of knowlegable people on the board that should be able to help. Get er cleaned up, get your 10 posts in, and post some pics. When you get your 10 posts in shoot MarkJ a pm he's really good along with a lot of others.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Ron, listen up, this works. Stand in the mirrow saying it was a family heirloom,,,,till you can say it with a straight face. It came easier for me than it does to others.Learn to lie:eek:oooh:
    Pressure wash that baby out and have the crack in transom heliarc welded, won't cost too much. Be careful stompin the dent back out, you can go to far and tear it if your not careful. If it leaks you can tighten the rivets by getting someone to hold a hammer under the rivet and tap the other side with a punch.As long as it has a clear title, ark. shouldn't give ya much flack. Ya get started on it, let us know how it's coming along.

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    My first boat was a Wolverine 14' V bottom.
    I wish I had it back.
    That thing was just like a cork.
    Floated high in the water. You could stand on the boat sides and it would not tip.
    Only problem was the motor was a long shaft. A 40 hp Merc IIRC. Been a long time ago.
    Lots of fun in that old boat. Heck it was 20 years old back then.

have a good one and thanks for the memories.
    just

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    :eek:oooh:Welcome to the BOC and good luck with the boat !

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    First of all WELCOME to the BOC/SOC! Great place to hang out and pick a lot of smart peoples brains about dfferent subjects. Sounds as if you have started off right,got your self a neat fixer upper.Get it cleaned up ,may not be as bad as it looks right now.Good luck and have fun working on it.Looking forward to some pictures.

7. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    hey man atleast you can say you have a boat. fixing it up will make you get to know your boat on a personal level just like the old saying "the captain knows every rivet and every square inch of his boat"

8. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Welcome to the BOC Ron and congrats on getting a boat. I know wives can be a little difficult and times but if she is anything like mine just remind her of her shoe collection and the subject should disapear. Just tell her Boys and Toys. She should understand.

9. Liver Slinger

Liver Slinger New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks Guys
    Ive taken some pics
    The pics. of the Brace - I need to remove it to have it welded, can I get the new rivets ? The rivets in the bottom that holds the brace have a big pan head on the bottom side.

Check out the dent in the bottom think I can get it straightened ?

Thanks for any help

Attached Files:

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I know the feeling. I've done this a few times myself! Best thing to do is get it water ready As Soon As Possible and get out in it to prove it was a good decision. If she don't fish.....................................................Sorry Man!

11. Liver Slinger

Liver Slinger New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hey Guys
    Where can I get Rivets for the brace I need to have welded???
    The ones Im talking about attach the brace to the bottom and have a pan head on the bottom side of the bottom.

I havent a clue what they are called???

Also looks like some kind of roof paint on the under side it wore off in places
    kind of a grainy alum lookin goop. You think it was leak patch job? Think I could remove it and fix it right?

Thanks
    Liver Slinger

12. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "You think it was leak patch job? "

Can't say for sure but I'd think it a fair bet that it was.
    Eyeball the rivets on the hull bracings, I 'spect you will find one or more loose and leaking. In fact, a leak test may be the first thing you want to do.

My first tin boat had been "repaired" with roofing tar, and bondo over that. Discovered this when I went to sand it for new paint.

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My personal opinion is that on an aluminum boat, you don't need rollers. Bunks will do a whole lot better job of supporting the boat without all the dents and humps rollers will give you. A heavy boat, yes, it needs good rollers. Lightweight aluminum just needs a solid surface. When you take the boat to a shop to have that brace welded, tell them to replace the rivets. Shouldn't cost you very much at all. Before you do a leak test, get rid of the rollers. LOL And, I might add, block the frame of the trailer to make it solid. Otherwise you stand a chance of bending or breaking the axle. Perhaps having some blow outs also. That would make the little lady happy. LOL

14. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    BUSTED!!!!

Ron I hope you do better at that than he does...his favorite line is either " somebody gave it to me" or "I've had that a LONGGGGG time" neither of which works...I been burned too many times...LMBO!!!!!:wink:

and no JOHNNY BOB you are NOT a good liar, so don't go there!

15. Liver Slinger

Liver Slinger New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Talk to my farterinlaw today and he said might be eaiser to use stove bolts instead of rivets - I assume they need to be S. Steel ??? or Galv.???

Im not so sure there is a boat repaire place around here any more" NW Arkansas"

I got the old motor runin today it a 5hp Chrsyler, I think there is some junk in the carb need to take it off and clean it out.

I had to sand the magneto & work over and set the points to get it sparkin
    The old motor is missing the Hood by chance any one have a hood for a 5hp Chrsyler?????????

I will get rid of the rollers you are right dont need em.

What are you talkin about blockin the frame??

Thanks
    Liver

16. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "Talk to my farterinlaw today and he said might be eaiser to use stove bolts instead of rivets - I assume they need to be S. Steel ??? or Galv.???"

Stainless, but I would go with rivets. For sure below the water line.

It's a pain, but the more you do the right way now, will make you much happier later.

"The old motor is missing the Hood by chance any one have a hood for a 5hp Chrsyler?????????"

Start scouting Ebay. Might even post in the "wanted to buy" section.

17. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I mean to block your trailer frame just like its a mobile home or camper trailer. If you fill a boat full of water to check for leaks, your putting an awfull lot of weight on the boat in a maner it wasn't designed. But, if you don't block your trailer frame, all that weight goes to the tires, then to the axle. On an old rig, something has gotta give, usually the trailer and tires.

18. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome aboard congrats on getting the new boat hopefully you will be able to get that whole situation figured out and get your boat fixed up and be able to put it in the water soon.

19. Liver Slinger

Liver Slinger New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Took the carb. off cleaned it & shes purin like a kitten now.

Just thinkin if I took some alum. angle and bolted it on each side runing vertical by where the motor mounts ? Or even use 3/4 plywood & cut out to fit around the top of the brace ?? Think that would keep this mean 5 hp from flexin the transom. The brace is broke below the top rivet.

I want a transom mount trolling motor how much thrust think I need ?

Has anyone tried the clamp on seat dohickys? I seen them a Wally World.
    The old seats that were on it were screwed to the benches -One of the old seats was off ,screws were ripped out of the Alum.

Where could I get another set of points and condencers for this old Crylser 5 hp? like to have and extra set.

About forgot - What gas mix on this old motor, I mixed a gallon & use 4 oz. I think that was 32:1

I dont think Im gona do to much to this old beater just get it usable and safe.
    Ill find another in better shape to go whole hog on
    Thanks
    Liver

20. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah