drowning sets.

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by River_monster91, Sep 2, 2008.

1. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    just got some 1 1/2 footholds for coons and would like to try a few for use with the drownin sets, problem is i dont quite understand how to set a drowning set up. i know you have to have it in water (duh) and it has to be deep enuff. could someone please explain to me how to properly set up a drowing set.

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Hi Donnie .. I personally never cared much for drowning set for coon, but some people do. A couple of times I tried them they didn't work because the coon didn't go into the water, just kept trying to get up the bank. There are two ways to do it though and maybe more. The first way is to use a long chain on the trap and drive a good sized stake out in the water. When the coon gets gaught and IF he goes into the water he will rap the chaind around the stake and can't get back to shore and drown.

The other way is to use a slide wire with chain on the wire ( like a dog run wire) either with a large rock, a sandbad or even a stake driven into the bottom. With this set up you have to have a stop lock device on the slide wire so that once the coon goes past it, it won't let him get back to shore.
    This would be like a slide wire and drowning set up for beaver. The only problem with this is that a coon won't dive like a beaver will and the stop lock would have to be out far enough the coon couldn't get back to shore.

Well, don't know if that helps or not ... but there you go .... Garry-

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Donnie,I used to use a small diameter cable as a drowning wire,then place a drowning lock on it and attach to the trap chain,for coon a weight doesnt need to be huge,I anchored my slide wire with a cinder block ,I have heard od using tie plates [used on railroad] and using two or as many as needed.When using a drowning lock you need to make sure that the long end of the "L" is facing the weight at the end of your cable,That way the animal can swim to deep water ,but not back.The weight of the trap and not being able to reach land will do the rest.

4. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    garry i figured youd be the first one to reply on this post lol. thank you both garry and richard for your input.

5. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I'm not good with words at all but I will give it a try.
    first,your trap doesn't have to be in the water just your drowning block.
    as long as your trap has nothing in the way of it and the block it's all good.
    I use 8 or 10 gage trapping wire or stainless steel cable of the same size.
    we have lots of beaver and otter where I trap and both will break anything smaller.
    the set I like most for drowning coon is a dirt hole set of sorts.
    first I find where I'm going to make my set.
    and then I throw out the block and run my guide wire back to the set and put the trap swivel on the wire so it will only go one way,to the block.LOL.
    I use the swivel that comes with the traps.
    to put the trap on the wire correctly,lay the trap facing the block, pull the swivel back to the set ,,run wire threw the J hook hole and wrap around stake and drive it home.
    tighten the wire as needed.

make your normal dirt hole set add some bait and you are set for catching some fur.:wink:

6. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    You've got some good advice from these guys allready, but I do it a little different, so I thought that I'd chime in also.

I've never used weights on the deep end for drowning wires because rocks are not a problem where I trap. Either wooden stakes, rebar, or berkshire disposable stakes is what I use.

One setup that I started out with many years ago(handed down from my Dad), was using #14 baling wire with a 15 inch wooden stake on both ends. Then I went to using berkshire disposable stakes on my deepend and a 12 inch wooden lathe bought from Home Depot at the trapend. Now I'm leaning more to cable stakes made from 3/32 7x7 cable with rebar stakes at each end. I've found this last method to be the quickest way of setting up a drowner.

Whatever method you decide to use, just make sure you have your drowning lock pointed in the right direction. It's easy to check to make sure you've got it on the correct way. Just grab your trap and pull toward deepwater. If it slides, your right. If it stops, you need to turn it around.

You do not need water very deep to make a drowner work. By simply getting the coon in a few inches of water, you will elliminate the knawing done by the animal on its foot. This will result in more animals waiting for you the next morning. I like my deep end to be in about a foot of water or a little more, but it's not necessary.