Drowning at Wilcox Wharf?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by SlightlySeine, Jul 10, 2009.

1. SlightlySeine

SlightlySeine New Member

State:
    Big "R" Town, Va
    Anyone hear anything about this? My girlfriend heard something to the effect of a 16 year old fishing with his Dad, and he hadn't been found yet. Didn't catch the news, and was wondering if anyone had heard of this :sad2:

2. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Kinda sad, I was shocked. I fish there all the time. I can't imagine anybody jumping from that pier. Not to mention with adults around, I'm sure he didn't just do it on a whim. I know if I was there I would have tried to stop him from jumping. On the news they had his cousin who was there, he said he jumped in and never surfaced. The current pulled him out. They did find his body, it was about a hundred feet out from the pier. Its sorry that a life ended so early, and fishing there will never be the same for me. The adults that were there IF they condoned the jumping off the pier are somewhat to blame as well for this tragic accident.

3. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Same old story .... the adults there allowed a tragic accident to happen and went on TVand blamed the state .... the no swimming sign was not big enough.
    The state did not allow their son to drown ,,, they did.
    Cold hard facts but true.
    REDCAT

4. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    The sign is right there at the parking lot, you can't help but see it.
    I really hope this doesn't shut that pier down.
    Sorry for the loss but the adults do play a major roll in this accident.

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    How deep is the water there? I was under the impression that area was really shallow?

6. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've seen people wading out with cast nets halfway down the pier and it's only waist deep. From what the paper said he was just swimming and somebody jumped in to save him and by then it was too late. He must have been swimming out kinda far.

7. flattop67

flattop67 New Member

State:
    New Kent County, VA
    There is about a 30 foot hole close to the beach up river 30-50 yards from the pier, where the barges used to dock. I was there 3 piers down when the drowning occurred. I had just rode a jet ski up and back in front of the pier and heard the first deputies arrive. No one on the fishing pier attempted to motion to me or a friend that was on the pier with me. Not that we could have changed the outcome, but our response could have been better since Charles City does not have water rescue personnel.

I put my Carolina Skiff in and went down river and when we returned, the two Prince George boats were upriver of the fishing pier looking for the boy.

Very sad and as others have said, the adults should take responsibility. I saw no one in the water other than a lone kayak. If one of my children had gone under, there would be two bodies to recover before I would get out of the water.

Kevin

Even worse than the tragedy was the way WTVR6 used file footage of a swollen upper river to give the impression the current swept the boy away (file footage on their website). It was an incoming tide, almost peaked and there were minimal ripples on the water.