Drought & hunting?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by bootshowl, Sep 4, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Been a real rough year for farmers round here. Was wondering how that will affect the patterns and herds. Any thoughts? We are more than seven inches low on rainfall for the last two months.....

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    In years past ,in my area in drought conditions the mulies and pronghorn tend to be lighter in body,and more concentrated near good food and water supplies. the fawn mortality rate is much higher also at these times . All in all it has made hunting my area more difficult because the river is so thisk with salt cedars and hard to gain permission to private land that it becomes more like work than recreation.

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    the acorn crop around here seems to be smaller then in previous years. I'll be focusing on creek bottoms and oak groves in those bottoms. they'll have bigger nuts since they have more access to water and less tanins then their counterparts furthur inland. but thats my 2 cents.

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    That's what made me wonder bout it as I looked down and had tiny lil acorns......."now that's funny I don't care who ya are".....but kidding aside the trees are even hurting this year.

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The last two years, we had a bad drought, some areas being as much as 29 inches of rainfall shorter than normal. It caused the deer to travel to areas were there was water, sometimes miles away from their regular areas. Deer will travel great distances if they have to so they can be near a water source. They'll stay there until the water returns. This year, we've had record rainfall, so I'm anticipating the deer to be back to normal travel patterns.

6. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    Where i live, if you find the water, you'll find the deer, atleast thats how its going this year, without much rain. most of the creeks where i hunt are dry.
    Mike

7. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i watched a 150 class buck heading for a drink in the creek behind my house about a week ago.It was one oclock in the afternoon and it was 95 degrees out.deer really key on water in late summer and under drought conditions they must have a constant source nearby.waterhole stands in these conditions can be a gold mine,alot of activity is nocturnal but when its really dry ,deer find it hard or impossible to wait until dark to drink.be careful i have noticed they also like to bed down close to the water making it hard to get to your stand.

8. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Right now in my area of Ga we are 14 to 18 inches behind on rainfall for the year. We are in a severe drought. If you this continues the best places to hunt will be near water sources. There are vitrually no acorns this year, most of the green leafy browse is dry with the exception of the areas around lakes and rivers. I would love to have a small pond or lake with water in it in the middle of a big wooded area.

9. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    We've had a lot of rain over the spring, and early summer. From the looks of the oaks on my deer lease, there is gona be a huge acorn crop this fall.

10. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Real dry here in Arkansas too. Late frost this spring wiped out most everything for this year. Checked yesterday, no persimmons at all, no acorns on the white oak or post oaks. Gonna be a tough winter for the deer. Drought wiped out most of the browse too.

11. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We were in a drought until we had 12.3 inches dumped on us last week. Most of the rain was to later for crops. Acorns tiny as heck. Our dnr planted a lot of cane and milo which the deer have been hitting heavy so Im thinkin Im huntin whatever food source I can find. Deer will drink out of a mud puddle so I dont try the water game with them. We also have a bumper crop of skeeters anyone need any? Good luck hunting!!!