Drought Conditions In MISSOURI

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by redneckdrum, Mar 3, 2006.

1. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    I just read todays headlines on the drought and how it is affecting the waterways of SW Missouri,especially the trout fishing at Roaring River State Park.Since I,along with everyone here,are avid catfishermen(and women),I fish Missouri lakes all summer whether there are drought conditions or not.I guess my question is 'does lack of rainfall affect the catfishing?' In what way's would it?

2. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Makes it hard to believe '73 and '93 ever happened!

3. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If we don't get a LOT of rain, we will see things this generation has only heard of. I just hope the holes retain enuff water to support the population. The lower end of the rivers have changed here in West central Missouri; silted in etc. since Truman filled up. Who really knows how this may effect the fishing? Farm ponds stand to suffer even more, because they're already low. In some ponds it's already a long way from the normal bank out to the waters edge. That cuts down on the number of insects that reach the water. The lower the water level inside the dikes-the less the wind can oxygenate the water. This could concievably spell disaster for all species of fish. In most ponds and shallow creeks the cover is along the banks, and if there's no place to hide the whole food chain is in jeopardy. Come on RAIN!!!!

4. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Arkansas right there with you Wolfman. Norfork Lake, at Wednesday AGFC report was down 14.5 from normal pool. Only running the generators about 1 hour a day now. But they claim the trout fisherman can wade the waters of the Norfork and White Rivers while the gens are not running. I went to Mountain Home last Monday and the marina there at Henderson landing looked really bad. Doesn't even look like you could launch a boat from the ramp there. Plus you can see islands there in the lake that you normally don't see.

5. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Trips to work each day, the Missouri River is looking way too low in St Charles and around Howell Island. Florida had the same problem about 3 or 4 years ago, lakes way down or dried up altogether, they had drought conditions for like 2-3 years, but they finally got the rainfall they desparately needed, fishing is just now starting to recover. I'd happily do a rain dance if I thought it would help, lord knows we could use the rain. Good Luck to all...

6. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It's been raining since before I woke up at 5 this morning! Don't know how much yet, but it's nice and slow. I got a tin roof an I bet I could sleep til Tuesday! COME ON RAIN!!!

7. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Forecast is for rain most of next week I think...we sure need it, bring it on!:)

8. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I told ya I was here inna mornin's! Havva good wet day! Jim

9. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Woke up to rain here, this morn. Sure is nice, would like to see the, all the creeks ups and running \, Sac and Osage sure could use some water.

10. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    yeah,Jim,You'll be seeing me on the Sac real soon if it keeps raining & Praise God it is.

11. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I had a little over half an inch last nite and today. primitivefrn, yer right. The rivers do need some water for sure. Coming this slow it won't do much for them right now, but if we get the ground soaked up then maybe we'll get some runoff. Spose ta rain maybe 4 days this week. Can't hurt us none. I sure don't want to see a drought like I've heard my Dad talk about in the 30's.

12. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Woke up this morning to the wonderful sound of a soaking rain on the patio awning, sat out there drank some coffee, it was nice, but you're right, we need alot more rain. You guys down southwest need it badly from what I'm readin'. Bundle up and pray for a wet spring. Take care gents...

13. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Calling for thundershowers tuesday night, wednesday day/night on into thursday:thumbsup: Not enough, but it's a start

14. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been washing the truck alot lately and now I'm thinking I may set up the tent in the yard and sleep in it. That's about the only way I can think of to make it rain.Another year like the last one and we'll be hurting for sure.The old town of Linn Creek may rise again without some rain.

15. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Dont worry guys, i have a tournement the 18th ,we will have all the rain we need ,it never fails if i am in a tournement it will pour all day ,ask wolf

16. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    I got about a half an inch of rain in the Parkville area the other day. Calling for more rain today and tomorrow - will have to wait and see if it actually occurs. I need to buy a new mower - I mow two acres. May not have any grass to mow this year. So, the question is: to buy or not to buy!

17. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Thank you Robert for your sacrifice..LOL....we need the rain!:p

18. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    That was about how it was wolf ,good job,but you forgot the part about me and dave winning the tournement,LOL

19. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    It's 12:58am and it's raining out the ying-yang.The're saying we could get 1".I bet the WOLFMAN is happy 'bout now & so am I.:)

20. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    For all the hoopla and forecasts of "possible torential rains", we got little more than heavy sprinkles so far this week, and maybe a quarter inch on Sat. I think the fresh grass seed I put out scared the rain away. :sad: