Dropping the lower unit: '56 rude

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Fishgeek, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm doing maint. on my '56 Evinrude Big Twin 30hp. I spent the last 2 years (I'm a bit slow) getting it running again and it runs great. Anyway, I was going to take off the lower unit to change the seals in the gearcase & replace the impellar. However, I'm having trouble getting the lower unit detached from the upper part. At first I forgot to disconnect the shifting linkage but I have since removed the lock screw in the clamp that attaches the upper & lower shift rods. The lower unit still won't come off. I didn't want to force it. Do I need to or am I forgetting to do something else? I just did this last year & didn't have any problem.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Generally there are four bolts on the side of the lower unit which is visible to the eye. Then there is that "hidden" bolt most of them have. On the lower unit, right above the prop, there is a vain which is used to trim the motor. If you haven't done it, scribe a mark from the plate to the motor so you can mount the trim in the same position. Remove the trim... there is a large bolt in a recessed hole. So, that 5 bolts total. Still don't come loose, try some penetrating oil and gentle prying.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If its not seperating at all there is either a bolt left in or the drive shaft is frozen in the end of the crank.

4. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks guys.

It is separating -- dropped about 1 inch & then stopped. I can see the water pump & all. Like I said, I forgot to loosen the clamp holding the shifting rods together but I have now loosened the top bolt of the clamp completely.

I just went back out there & messed with it a little more. It is indeed separated an inch. However, it won't come out any farther and won't go back in. I also may have found my problem & I hope I just didn't screw myself. I noticed that the motor is actually in reverse...I'm thinking that should have been in neutral. It sounds like the driveshaft is catching up in the crank. I think I may have gotten a little too anxious.

5. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I got it. 'Not real sure why it didn't come off before...but its off now!

Thanks!

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I know why:confused2: