Dropping the bait help

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Baitkiller, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Are you a free liner and use weights? Using this two part method I've seen over a 25% improvement when river fishing for Northern Pike on a small stone bottom with a 4-6 mph currentand them holding on. I AM SURE it will work on the "Big Cats" too!!

PART #1

~~~ Link your sinkers one behind the other (4-3/4 oz. sinkers = 3 oz). ~~~

If you pick up a 20# steel bar and drag it down a concete sidewalk you will feel every crack and joint BIG TIME vs dragging a 20# chain down it. Also this will soften the feel of the weight when they first pick it up or pull on it.

PART #2

~~~ Tie rubber bands from the weights to your line. ~~~

Guys & Gals this too will reduce shock and soften the feel of the sinkers when they pick it up and/or drag it.

NOTE: PLEASE keep in mind to ONLY USE as little weight as NEEDED.

"Good Hunting"

2. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    usually i can get away with using 2 or 3 ounces of weight when fishing for flatheads and blues in the river. In lakes sometimes depending of bait size i wont use probaly a ounce of weight. The only time i use no wait is when im shark fishing in the ocean

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    OK guys PLEASE CORRECT ME plz!! I tight line when I fish the Ohio River for Flatheads when bank fishing. The reason I tight line is the area I fish and have seen many others continually get runs only to have the Cats drop their bait alot. When I brainstorm better ways to fish it normally do it for tight lining and not free lining. So I was wanting to help others that do free line which I guess would be about 85% of the real fisherman here and remembered the trick above that I had used that worked.

My question is do many have problems with the cats dropping the bait else where. I'm just wanting to know because I am ALWAYS willing to learn anything because most likely in will come into play sooner or later.

:0a35:

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Never had a problem with flatheads dropping the bait, I use a tightline, circle hook, and a 4-8oz sinker.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i dont have flaties drop baits often either. if they did they usually came back and smash it again,and by then the clicker was shut off, and i was ready forum. lol

i have had problems with channels dropping in cold water or shallow water(spring). we were threw this last year baitkiller not? you remember (my twig stuck in the ground next to the reel with the line hung over it )pics in the library? also in a no current situation i pull out 3-4ft of line and lay it in the grass then hitum when they reach the end.

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Thanks guys, that is not what I was seeing where I fish on the river from others by me.

This does help me understand what I see up there tight lining for the Flatties with cut may seem UNBELIEABLE to many here on the board.

MORE COMMENTS PLEASE GUYS & GALS!

:grin-big: "I'm still learnin from BOC! !:grin-big:

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I was thinking this over again guys. If this is not a problem for others out there, then correct me if my memory is not serving me right plz.

On the old board I've heard many times the guys sayin something like this:

I only got 2 fish but had 5 good runs :confused:

This that good or bad please??????

When I fish I think of it like the old game of "TAG" & being it is not good.

:0a35:

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I fish lakes most of the time and in those situations I am a free liner most of the time. But in current conditions in the rivers its best to use weights. A lot of times the fish can be finicky so then I may switch to circles.