Dropping baits - Flathead catfish tactic, who use this?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by MadKater, Dec 21, 2005.

1. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    How many of you folks flat fish like this? i do 90% of my flat fishing like this,bait the hooks,put the rods in holders and take the bait out with my jon boat and drop the bait rite outside of cover or on top of em if i can see em on the depth finder. it helps to have a partner cause more then i can count ive had lines take off and it seems you can never get to the bank in time to grab the rod lol,if im by myself and only using the 3 rod limit ill take all 3 rods out with me when i drop baits...doing this you can get the bait further then you could with a cast and closer to cover with out taking the chance of casting into the brush and getting hung before you can even fish.

2. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    I've seen people do it. Darrell Brown "Muddy bottom monsters video" fish's like this.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    been there done that especially with 1/2 pound and bigger baits. canoe works great for that too.

4. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

why not just fish from the john boat???

5. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Have you ever hooked a good size flathead in a 10' jon boat..been thier done that and will never do it again.its a nice ride tho.catfishing in a small jon boat is not comfortable at all,exspecially when you alone,you hook a fish and you cant clear the other lines,pull up ancores and then ya got all that line and rope in the water for the fish to get hung in.just easier to fish from the bank.

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Like the seen from jaws , Were gonna need a bigger boat. I have never realy fished that way yet. Hopefully this summer or next I might be able to afford a used boat of some type.

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    take my advice and never ever try to catfish out of a canoe! done it one time and never again. was sitting over a 25 ft hole and hooked into a 8 lb channel cat. i thought we were gonna die for sure.

8. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    :crazy: that could be a mess!

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    never tryed that but will !

10. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Thats a good idea I will have to try that. Thanks:big_smile:

11. kfloyd

kfloyd New Member

State:
    mississippi
    canoe and catfish dont mix!!:embarassed:

12. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    never fished in deep deep water with our 12' flatbottom, but we run alot of limblines, aint got no depthfinder or motor on the boat so we usually just paddle. i think it would be kinda fun to get a hold of a big ol' flattie in it though.

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dont use a boat with me in it but i got a small boat that i send out with bait and when it gets where i want it i pull the bait off and bring it back to the bank.i use to pay a guy a dollar a bait to take my bait out in the ocean when sharke fishing.it was kind of scary watching him carry a big chunk of bloody fish out on his surf board.

14. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Doe's the name Roy Hoops ring a bell?.
    He proabaly is the inventor of that way of flathead fishing years ago, taking the 8-12" suckers out in coffie cans, while his son managed the bank..HE dropped them down on rock flats at night was his trick of the trade,Where FlatHeads ( aka- Lions of the DEEP ) roam for food at night, Read many articals on the subject about him yrs ago. dont hear to much on him now though,

Catchs fish , thats for sure,i seen pics of some that was almost as long as he was. Huge Fish. Sometimes he waited for 3 or 4 nights before connecting with a fish. But it was worth the wait, because it was the Size of fish he was after.LOL.:wink:

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    This makes sense. Not only does reduce an injury to the baitfish from the cast, but it won't spook the fish either.

16. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Seems like a pretty good tactic, I have done that at smaller ponds before so I didnt have to cast 100 yards...lol:eek:oooh:

17. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I second that. Turned my canoe over 1 time and that was enough. As far as taking it out in a jon boat, good idea. Never thought of that.

18. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Sound like a good idea. Just got me a jon boat to find some new holes with. Might have to try that.

19. ARMYCATS

ARMYCATS New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ive never even thought of that. Ive walked down the bank and tossed my line close to a brush pile but never thought about takin it out in a boat to the holes.

20. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P