dropped motor in lake

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by kevinw, Oct 3, 2005.

1. kevinw

kevinw New Member

State:
    Burkburnett Texas
    This makes me a little sick to my stomach but here it goes. I have lost my new 4 stroke 15 hp yamaha outboard in the lake. I am going out again Wednesday to try and find it. What do I need to do to it when I find it. It has been in the water for about a week now. The water is not salty. Located in North Texas. Help

2. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Good luck on getting it back.
    I lost a good trolling motor a bit back and was never able to recover.
    (I know the meaning of feeling sick)

3. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    if you locate the motor keep it submerged untill you can get it to the shop it has to be worked on immediatly after it has been out of the water ,hope it helps

4. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    They make magnets now that are built for such purposes, if you have a general idea where it is you can put the magnet down there to retrieve it. They make them up to 250lbs capacity now I believe.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Kevin, I lost one that way once, took me 3 or 4 days of diving to find it in Black River. When I got it up, I took it straight home, remove plugs and turned the motor by hand to remove any water, drained the carbs and blew out fuel lines with air hose, then hooked it back up. Cranked on the 2nd pull. I let it run for about 1/2 hour, then took it to the river and ran it for another hour or so. I kept it for several more years and never had any problem with it at all.
    I'm not sure what the 'book' says to do, but that worked for me.

6. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    Wow, hope for the best. :eek:

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If and when you find it, get it to a shop for reconditioning. Keep it submerged in a barrel if you can't get it there right away.

If it gets reconditioned, have them remove the foam from inside the hood, or wash it out very well. It'll hold mud that will dry and get sucked in.

Forget the magnet. The aluminum, stainless steel, and plastic in that engine cover up most of the steel in that engine.

8. kevinw

kevinw New Member

State:
    Burkburnett Texas
    well it will have been 9 days under about 20 ft of water. I am scuba certified. I first used scuba but couldnt find it. I then trolled pulling a homemade grafling hook about 2 ft across. I checked the area my son in law thought it was in but now im going to check the area i think its in. If this were a 2 stroke I wouldnt be too worried. Those things will run no matter what but this thing has valves, cam shaft, oil pump and electronics. I like the barrel idea. When and If I find it I think Ill put it into a barrel of water and haul it to the dealer I bought it from. It only has 2 hrs on the engine. Also the weather here is about to turn cold. I dont get a day off until Wednesday. I still wake up at night hearing that horrible sound of the engine drowning out as it sank out of sight. I called the game warden to help pick me up. He showed up 3 hours later. We rowed about 3 miles against the wind. Gotta go puke now. Hope Wednesday is a good day. Thanks for the ideas.

9. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Not trying to be too nosey but how did the motor fall off, so I know what to watch out for. Thanks

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    this would be a great time to make a suggestion. every boater should ( and i do not) but after seeing this makes me think. carry a weighted bouy with line and a stop. that way if ya loose something of great value or in the event of an emergency ya can toss the bouy out and set it to stay in the spot where your friend or engine or whatever was lost. i will be getting one soon. this story is a good reason. sure hope ya find it. a 4 stroke with 2 hrs on it. man. thats a lot of dough at the bottom. hope ya find it.

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Sorry, Kevin, I had brain fade - missed the part about your motor being 4-stroke. I would definitely get it to the dealer ASAP.

12. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    if i was running a clamp on motor it would have a heavy cable or chain, and a padlock. too much money to lose, too many bandits out there. really hope you find your motor, or at least have some insurance. $125.00 a year is all it costs to insure my whole rig, it's not much of a boat, but i want to keep it. good luck!

13. kevinw

kevinw New Member

State:
    Burkburnett Texas
    The wooden transom was old and worn from the clamps rubbing from taking motors off and on throughout the years. This new motor did not line up exactly with the wear marks. Also this new motor turns a full 180 degrees from right to left so that when the engine is pushing and it turns it pushes not against the transom but paralell to it thus pushing just enough so that the clamps slipped into the wear areas of the wooden transom and then jumping off and into the lake. Thanks guys for the info and yes anyone with a clamp on motor should cable it to the boat so that it wont fall off or get stolen. I was going to do it just after my initial 2 hr break in period. I was going to drill a hole in the transom support so that I could secure it. Oh well. Im going out again in the morning with another diver and search again. What a lesson Ive learned................

14. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Well I hope you can get it back soon, so you can get back to fishing. Hopefully its not too bad when they open it up.

15. quadman

quadman New Member

State:
    Danville, Virginia
    I wish you the best of luck in finding it! I know you have to be sick after that!

16. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Under the right conditions,METAL shows up real good on a depth finder.peewee-williams

17. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    kevin, any up dates on your lost motor? Man I feel for you. Motors are not cheap.

18. kevinw

kevinw New Member

State:
    Burkburnett Texas
    Heres the update. I went out Wednesday with a master diver. We searched the area using a 20' rope , one end tied to an anchor and the other end held while swimming a circle around the anchor. We used tugs on the rope to communicate since we have zero visibility. He had a 6 million power underwater spot light. WE could see about one foot.No we didnt find it. Rob (the master diver) got hurt when while diving to the bottom hit a tree stump right in the chest. Hes ok . Just knocked the wind out of him. Anyways I didnt find it. This Saturday I have a guy who has a fish finder that is 480x480 pixels. This should pic up something as small as 1" at 20 feet. I tried to find a sonar to drag behind the boat but was unsuccessful. I dont have diving equipment for Saturday so Im going to try and free dive the 20'. I think we will find it this time. If we dont then this was the last try. Im going to have to give it up.

19. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Good luck - this whole process has to be just tearing you apart.

If you have access to a good GPS, you might bring it along as well - then if you spot it on the depth finder, you can mark your position on the GPS and have a set of coordinates to return to -- without it, I suspect it's difficult to repeatedly find the same spot.

Did you have insurance on the motor and boat? Maybe it's time to make a claim if so...

Hope you find it this weekend!

20. kevinw

kevinw New Member

State:
    Burkburnett Texas
    No insurance. The guy who was supposed to help on Saturday backed out. I am going to Bass Pro Shop tomorrow to buy a 480x480 pixel fish finder. At 20' depth each pixel should be less than 1". Ill set it up on my father inlaws boat so that next Thursday Ill take it out along with some diving equipment and hopefully this time find it. When I find this thing and get it running Im going to bolt it, clamp it, chain it and lock it in place (if i find it).