Drop sinker survey for MS and MO rivers

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by TeamWhiskers, Aug 25, 2007.

1. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What type of sinkers are preferred when using a drop sinker on your rigs or do you prefer a 3 way rig and the type of sinker? Which rig would you use for the MO river vs MS river?
    Let's get back to some education to help us all here if we could..

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Vince, I run 8oz no-rolls or 8oz flat banks carolina rigged 99% of the time on the MO. I like 8s because I don't have to change weights when I move in and out of the currrent. I should probably experiment more with drop and 3 way rigs, but with the current over here I hate the line twist and tangled mess I get when I reel them back in. If I'm fishing relatively low current areas, I'll sometimes tie a float by the bait kind of like Cuz was describing in an earlier post to make it easier for the fish to get the bait and keep it off the bottom.

I'll run up to 16oz weights when necessary (high river, high current conditions), usually regular bank sinkers. I don't like the flat sinkers or no rolls in very high current as they tend to plane in the water and it's harder to get the bait placement I want as they travel further in the current before hitting bottom.

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I started going to more of a 3 way rig here in the past few weeks. Was having to much trouble with my carolina rigs. The sinker would sink into the sand taking your swivel and main line with it. Once it was stuck in the sand bad news when you get a bite. It acts like an anchor for bait and the fish drop it. That and sand is just very good at fraying your line. As far as what sinker on my 3 ways I like flat bank sinkers. Either 6 or 8 once. Depending on if I'm fishing the kansas or missouri river.

4. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    i use the three way with two barrel swivels mostley use flat bamk sinkers from 5oz up to 12oz then from 12oz and up to 20oz i use bank sinkers. for the drop lines for the weights i use 12lb test for the lighter and 20lb for the 16oz and 20oz sinkers. the main line barrel swivel is a salt water ball bearing swivel hepls keep the twist down in hard current

5. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I use 5 oz bank sinkers, most of time. If the current is heavy, I use 6 to 10 oz. I use more wieght when fishing near a dam or tailwaters, in extreme current.

6. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It is interesting to see the different situations and why we use the weights and rigs.
    In heavy cover, Ill just put a slip sinker on with a hook and cunk it in there. Around and under barges, Ill go to a modified 3 way and try to slide it under it. Same with the backs of wing dams, Ill 3 way and let it drift across it. Above a dam. Ill try to Stick one in the corner using a new sinker I figured out, the teardrops will only drift and not hold like i want.
    We need to keep our minds open as we share our rigs and sinkers for situations that we might come across. These will also have to do with the type of bottom we are dealing with in our areas.. Rock, gravel, mud, sand. Thanks for the help as we continue to share and learn.... Vince

7. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Vince did you have the swivel in the center of the teardrop these work pretty good for me

Attached Files:

8. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If it works.. Use it.. Good going! Actually, I put it on the edge or lip of it. I used to put a nail where your swivel is that comes up and you bend it in a P with the swivel in the P. You just have to bend the nail that goes into the lead to look like a L otherwise it comes out pretty easy. That is much like the concept of the anchor that I use. It will hit and dig normally.

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Doug, what are you using to mold that sinker? I like the looks of it!

Great Job!

10. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Well to tell you the truth your not going to believe it but I used a stainless steel ice cream scoop :smile2: and the thing that pushes the ice cream out I used it to hold the swivel in place when I poured the lead :smile2: becareful ice cream scoop gets HOT when pouring HOT lead :eek:oooh: and I use two 6oz sinkers so it would come out right at 12oz

11. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That is like trying to use a soup spoon.. Do not try that!!

12. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I tie one swivel to the end of the line and on that swivel I tie one long leader for the sinker and a shorter leader of the hook and I never have any tangles even in fast water.

13. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jim.. Are you using mono or braid for your leaders?.