Drop shot type rig?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Shawn, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was thinking about some of the heavy cover where I always seem to get hung-up in with large live baits. And I was considering some modified drop-shot rig...

Tie on your hook and leave about 12-16" tag line. Put a big sinker on the tag line, and use a split-shot to hold in place. My idea is fishing a tight line close to cover, the bait shouldn't be able to get tangled in the wood as easily. The sinker may hang-up, but should easily slide of the line to come free.

Anyone ever do anything like this???

I've tried slip float rigs, but my baits always seem to get lost in the wood. I think this would work for vertical fishing near bridge pilings, or where there are boudlers and huge rocks...

Shawn

2. bigboy

bigboy New Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Shawn,
    I'm fairly young,13,but I have been fishing all my life and feel that a rig in the style you mentioned would possibly work quite well in heavy cover. It would keep the bait close to the line and would also keep the bait from twisting around the main line while dropping into heavy current. Also do you fish straight down or do you prefer to cast? If you prefer to cast try to get anchored upstream and cast just ahead of the snag,and let the line get to the bottom and then feel your way on the bottom until you hit part of the snag then engage the reel and wait.Hope this helps!

3. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Shawn,

Try a 3-way swivel, with the hook dropper the same test as your main line. Add a sinker dropper of a test that's about half, and tie a loop in this dropper to hang the sinker. If the sinker gets hung up, it's easy to break it off and get the hook and swivel back. This is similar to your splitshot stopper, but maybe more positive retention of the weight against bumps and snags you might otherwise get free of. Might save you a little lead.

Dennis

4. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Have to agree with Ol Whiskers on this one. Been using that rig for years in places where more likely than not I'm gonna get hung up. READ THAT AS FISHING FOR FLATS! If you ain't getting hung up your fishing in the wrong area for flatheads.:) Also just using a split shot to hold a heavy sinker will usually fail when casting so you loose the lead before you ever got there.

Frank

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I also use this medthod but use 6# test and gladly give up lead for the rest of my stuff

tight lines

6. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use a dropshot rig quite frequently, with good results. I tie the rig just as described, but I do tie a knot in the sinker drop below the splitshot. The knot keeps the sinker from sliding off to easily. The dropshot rig works well under a float, tightlining, drifting, and would probably work in many other situations.
    A dropshot rig is a very effective tool to add to ones arsenal.