Drop Shot Rigging?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CJ21, Dec 5, 2007.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering have any of you guys try fishing with a drop shot rig for cats? like the what the bass fisherman use to keep there bait suspended. I am going to try fishing like that and see how it works.

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am trying to get away from using so many swivels.

3. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    yea its an exellent rig when you are bouncing the bottom or targeting brush piles/ log jams

4. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    I use drop shot finess sinkers for my drifting rigs,a lot less snags and when you lose a weight you usually get the rest of the rig back

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Sure i use to use drop shot all the time,worked fine for me.It just took a few seconds more for the bait to reach the bottom but it works,heck sometimes my bait would get snatched up and hit before it hit bottom,heck it kinda lets ya know where there hangin out so you can use it almost like a makeshift deph finder at times.

6. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have used that method around brush with a dropper loop for attaching the hook instead of a swivel.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

I agree with Barry, dropper loops are a lot easier. Tie your dropper loop longer than you need it then attach your hook with a palomar knot. Also if you use 3 way swivels with mono they will sometimes cut your line. The only time i use 3 way swivels is on my jugs using trot line cord.

8. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Charles, A dropshot rig is deadly when used under a float.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks guys for the tips.

10. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That is how I rig all my rods. A 6 foot leader and a double leader 2 feet up about 8 inches long with a 8/0 circle, love it for drifting or anchoring

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use swivels. To be honest with you I am a little uncomfortable using a drop loop. I dont want any uneeded knots in my line. When you put knots in your line you reduce the poundage by half...IMO

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya I went bank to the three way swivels, I think its better fish with them that way.

13. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    The only time I use a drop shot rig is when I snag for spoonbill.

A 3-5 oz bank sinker...tied at the bottom...and a 10/0-12/0 treble tied inline about a foot...to a foot and 1/2 above the sinker.

Otherwise I tend to agree that when fishing with bait...a 3 way is more efficient with live bait.

The ba$$ guys like the drop shot rig because lacking a live offering...the 3 way does little good for them when attempting to give a lifelike presentation.

A direct connection to the mainline helps them to give their bait a shake or a twitch to get it moving a little bit to help coax a bite.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    John, a 3-way swivel requires 3 knots; a dropper requires only one. If you make your dropper loop with a surgeon's knot, you will have an almost 100% knot.

Johnny, if you have a dropper loop, you don't need a knot of any kind. Just feed the end of the loop through the eye of the hook, bring the hook through the loop, and pull it tight. I use this method on my jugs and rod & reel setups.

15. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

Jerry, i used to do it that way all the time using 40lb. mono or bigger. But the 30 lb. and smaller i switched to using a palomar to attach the hook. I lost 2 bigger fish from the line cutting itself with the 30 lb. mono.