Drop em or leave em

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by pendog66, Feb 3, 2006.

1. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    I have a question for you guys, if you were out fishing with a group of friends and you got some hecklers messing with you, what do you do?? Leave the spot?? I know in my case i would probaly try to fight for the spot especially if its a good one. But then again you have to worry about the person having a gun or knife. To me its really a matter of what kind of mood your in, and knowing me its usually lets settle this now. :cursing:

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah that sucks man, I dont know what I would do. Guess it depends on the situation.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I'm getting too old for that crap-I'd let my friends fight them while I kept fishing.

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I'm with Cook, my buddy has a lazer on his 40 cal. so not many would be heckling for long.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    lol, yeah ive had those types come upon me while im out at night. not very often though. it's a whole lot safer nowdays compared to 10-15 years ago, especially around town. it all depends on the situation on how i'll react. i see your just 18 and you will get harrassed way more than someone my age. from the time i was 15 till i was about 20 i was always getting heckled, threatened, or just flat out jumped on. it was mostly drunks, or groups of other teens/young adults who think they can intimidate because of their size or numbers. i stood my ground if the numbers were even, but as they say, its better to be a live chicken than a dead duck! if its not an even fight, just calmly pick up and leave, say you dont want any trouble. your not a coward, just playing it smart. if its a spot they frequent, get some freinds together and plott some revenge:mad::D those types only learn one way.....

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Don't leave, stand your ground. That makes them Madder than anything else you could do to them. Don't let them ruin a perfectly otherwise great day at the fishing hole. I wouldn't!!!

7. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i have had some hecklers and i've gone after them, when they realized how big i was they backed off. Im just waitin on the day i get hecklers fishing with BigCatSteve and we've both had bad days. Now that could get ugly

8. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    since i am on a boat when i fish i dont get that problem. but ive had a couple of guys come up striper fishing and i was fishing for bass get in my face or try to i just kept on fishing and ignored em. i do have a saying i have used a few times too when i would bank fish. id just look at them with a smile calm and cool say i love you anyways they just turn and walk away they aint got nothing to say to that guess it knocks them off guard lol.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

The smart thing to do is to just let it go and move on.

I have always been bad for doing the wrong thing in these situations.
    I hate some one trying to inflict their will on me so I would likely say lets get it on. After I have already started of course.:)

10. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Let them drag someone else down. Keep your mind on what you set out to do and that would be fish. An altercation is a loose, loose. The only way i'd tie it on would be if i had to protect myself. Let them heckle while your draggin in a whopper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Sticks and stones may brake my bones but words will never hurt me.......so till its those "sticks and stones" keep fishin buddy.;)

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Carry a cell phone and call the cops..Or in my case have a 45 strapped to your side in plain view, it is quite a deterent.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I may add I have had four punks walk up on me a couple years ago while I was fishing alone..You could tell they were about to start trouble..Then one of them said HE HAS A GUN!!!! They walked away soon after.

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    For Gods sake buddy that didnt count. They were all 9 years old. ;) Okay just kidding.

15. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    LOL...yep its great to have you back....LOL

16. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    ROTFLMAO! Where to hell are you guys fishin at. Hecklers while you are fishin! Thats got to be one of the funniest things I ever heard.

17. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    actually i have had a couple instances a drunk happened to come down tto the rivers edge from a hiden road one evening and proceeded to talk drunk stupid talk nothing nasty or serious just ignorant babble and
    comments . we were in the jon and the river is very long so we moved on down out of site. drunk people suck.

as far as heckleing theres a fine line between a little banter and outandout pesteringi f they screwed with me too much and i was way out numbered i would have thoughts of packing up and leaveing but on the way out their tire/tires may mysteriously loose the valve stems:rolleyes:

might have to find a new spot for a while though,
    thats the bad part about bank fishing . its a shame idiots have to show the world what they are good at.:sad:
    think i would take a bud and some backup next trip

18. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    your right Nate,its bound to happen that someone says something to us and when that day comes lets hope we are both in a forgiving mood.which is no likely.we have days like that but they are few and far between.

19. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Id stay there and just ignore them,then if they wanna get pushy i have no problem settling what ever beef they may have.

20. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am glad I dont have those kind of problems. The places that scares me the most in my area , is town, wal mart, etc. not woods, rivers and lakes. I stay away from dangerous places like malls and stuff. town is where I have ran across trouble. I can't recall anyone ever trying to hog me out of my fishing spot.but I've had some dirty looks before cause maybe I got to a spot first but they move on down the bank some and no problems. Heck its a big lake and long river. Maybe young smart butts but for the most part they aint looking to jump on somebody. They might say something smart but that dont bother me much as long as they move on.

Had a thief once in past 12 years at my lake lot. Handle it with out blood shed. Course I think one pissed on themselves, I know he was crying and begging not to go to jail. LOL. Ran across a few characters throughout the years but mostly handled without trouble and police. Crack heads dont go fishing. They stay in town looking for something to steal or their next fix. If they do go to country, its to ride roads looking for house's to rob where people are not home are start a meth lab in woods. I'll call police if I run across that.

I'm glad I dont fish in area's of trouble. If it was like that I wouldn't go or I would find another spot and I sure wouldn't expose my family to those places. . I dont go fishing to watch my back or be a tough guy etc. I go for fun, to relax, family time. I would never expose my family to some of the troubled areas . Where I have fished for the past 15 years, I feel safe enough to fall to sleep in my chair. I've also took a nap in my boat. Had other fisherman pull up to see if I was OK and I've done the same. Most people on my lake show a little respect, help each other out if needed. . They are there for enjoyment,
    not to kick butt, rob, gun fights etc. bout the biggest problem we have is litter.

Here lately on BOC I've been reading about trouble some have when going fishing or have to watch their backs more than rod tips. . Needing a gun, having to kick butt etc. I sure hope you guys find better spots in the future or get involved with your local law enforcement to get a handle on cleaning up those thug areas. I asked this once. Do yall fish in Iraq, maybe border towns in Mexico or somewhere where drug runners come by boat.

It's pretty much redneck country boy area where I live. Now most dont take crap and most dont look for or want trouble but none or wimps and we know that, which teaches us a little respect, if nothing else, we know if we make trouble, there will be trouble and most dont want trouble. If its a case of disrespectful young punks Usually they can be tamed easily by police are a good serious look and a few get to the point frank words.
    I aint afraid to call the law and I have throughout the years.

If I had my weapon or not I would use my head more than anything. I would call 911 if it got to that point. Go to my truck and wait on police. I'm too old and smart to be rolling on the ground and too smart for gun fights. Just because I might have my weapon, I aint being a bad a## and stay around to use it for a fishing spot, nor am I going to go to bad areas just cause I can carry a weapon. Even if I have to flash my weapon to get a peaceful
    fishing trip, it aint worth it to me. I aint scared of anything , except a rat and town LMAO, I'm not stupid either. I would defend myself if I was force to. I understand that no matter what we do to advoid trouble, sometimes stuff just happens anyway.
    I'm glad I got good fishing spots. Some people up state may want to start taking defense training classes so you can go fishing. I think I'll stay right here in East Texas, where its safe, well except for town, that gets a little scary and dangerous. I lock my truck doors when pulling up to red lights.

There is no way I would waste my time on fishing in a troubled area.