Driving Warning!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by rebelzgrl76, Feb 17, 2007.

1. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Now, THIS IS INTERESTING!!!!

NEVER KNEW THIS BEFORE...
    I wonder how many people know about this? A 36 year old female had an accident several weeks ago and Totaled her car. A resident of Kilgore, Texas she was traveling between Gladewater & Kilgore. It was raining, though not excessively, when her car suddenly began to hydro-plane and literally flew through the air. She was not seriously injured but very stunned at the sudden occurrence!

When she explained to the highway patrolman what had happened he told her something that every driver should know - NEVER DRIVE IN THE RAIN WITH YOUR CRUISE CONTROL ON. She thought she was being cautious by setting the cruise control and maintaining a safe consistent speed in the rain.

But the highway patrolman told her that if the cruise control is on when your car begins to hydro-plane and your tires lose contact with the pavement, your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed making you take off like an airplane. She told the patrolman that was exactly what had occurred.

The patrolman said this warning should be listed, on the driver's seat sun-visor - NEVER USE THE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN THE PAVEMENT IS WET OR ICY, along with the airbag warning. We tell our teenagers to set the cruise control and drive a safe speed - but we don't tell them to use the cruise control only when the pavement is dry.

The only person the accident victim found, who knew this (besides the patrolman), was a man who had had a similar accident, totaled his car and sustained severe injuries.

If you send this to 15 people and only one of them doesn't know about this, then it was all worth it. You might have saved a life.

NOTE: Some vehicles (like the Toyota Sienna Limited XLE) will not allow you to set the cruise control when the windshield wipers are on.

2. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    Thanks for the info Amy :big_smile:

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
  4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Amy thanks for sharing. I will pass it on, for that is important to know.:smile2:

5. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I did know about this, never use cruise in any bad weather, you need
    to control the vehicle speed to changing road conditions.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That is one of the first things that is taught in drivers training in law enforcement defensive drivers training.

Thanks for giving the heads up on it though. I assumed that most people knew this. The same thing occurs when you run off the shoulder of the highway trying to avoid hitting something.

7. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks, Amy... I didn't know about this!

Don't much care for cruise control anyhow, cuz it seems too easy to get too relaxed while using it and maybe lose focus, but this is sure good to know for those longer travels.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I recieved that in an e-mail from my wifes aunt ,just didnt think about passin it along like you did .great job reps again

9. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    thanks Amy never knew this and it's good to know snice I drive a lot by myself Sharon

10. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    thanks for letting me know I will tell my better half .because she always use cruise when she is on the highway dry or wet.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I really and truly hate to say this but you were offered this info. and turned it down. It is and has been in all of the drivers manuals of every car with and without cruise control for many (like 20+)years.It is normally found with the warnings and things that the manufacture and the US government thinks that you need to know "before" you drive the vehicle.The law requires them to notify you of such dangers and they do.Many people decide that they do not need such information,as "they know all that they need to know to drive".I have heard this statement many times and heard the term "Bull ----" about this,when I told someone about it.I wonder how many more things are in that book that kills folks that don't read it along with the innocent.The law requires that you be officially notified.They do not provide for people to be forced to read it.For anyone to operate a machine with the energy potential of a case of dynamite on a public road without reading the instructions or at least the clearly marked warnings is unbelievable isn;t it? I am truly glad that we survived it.Now,how many have learned enough to go read the book for the rest of the warnings?The lack of it only kills thousands every year and nearly all of us is or has been guilty.I love you Brothers and Sisters

12. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks JW...:tounge_out: I didn't have to look it up. I already knew that...:cool2:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Alaska: 11,623 Eskimos Can't Be Wrong!

13. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I once took a friend who had lost his license to a required driving course that the Judge sent him to.I was allowed to sit in without charge and listen if I wished.I wished.We had been through a long period of wet weather locally and they were having a lot of wrecks due to cruise control.The instructor commented on how many needless deaths there were simply because people refused to read the instructions that came with their vehicle.It was a problem with professional to occasional drivers.Some survive several wrecks without knowing the cause.I found it scary that "most of us are so careless with our and others lives" as the man put it.I have read every manual with every vehicle I could and had to drive since,and requested a manual if I was to be required to drive it.Things such as parking brakes in reverse and "Park" on Automatic transmissions can and do cause loss of life.The book is to save our lives and I had no excuse for assuming that I was smart enough not to need to read it.Us folks often have no idea how dangerous we are.I love you Brothers and Sisters,peewee

14. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    yes i did know this my father has told me that when i first started driving . i am originally from buffaloNY and driving in the snow ice and rain you really had to be careful this was a very useful post amy

15. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Good post and advice Amy!!
    Another one is "Don't use your Jake Brake,on slick roads!":lol:

16. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Or around old ladies.They will never ever forgive you.I love you Brothers and Sisters,peewee

17. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Amy - Thanks for the post! I must admit to being unaware of this although I very rarely use cruise control.

18. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the heads-up Amy. I'll share this info with people I know. Thanks again.

19. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Awsome post/thread Amy, thanks for the info, I never thought of that.