DRIVING TO AND FROM THE RIVER

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by low desert jonathan, Oct 10, 2009.

1. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    Please brothers when towing your boats too and from the river do the speed limit. It's easy to be tempted to open it up on that long long lonely road but just remember the fines are higher when you tow a trailer than when you just drive a single vehicle. Don't speed and be a show off instead just get there safe:big_smile: LDJ

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yep, Good reminder Jonathan,,

If someone needs to get their sooner,,,,,,,Leave earlier..:crazy:

The hurrier I go,, The behinder I get....LOL

3. STEWART

STEWART New Member

State:
    CA.
    CAME BACK FROM THE RIVER LAST WEEKEND SAW A TOYO TRUCK ROLLED OVER TOWING A PONTOON.LOOKED LIKE EVERYBODY WAS OK.TRUCK AND BOAT DESTROYED THOUGH. STEWART

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    There have been many accidents on that stretch including some deaths and some near deaths. Definitely some more true tips for everyone to handle and live by. Thanks.

B

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Better to drive safe and get there to fish, then drive reckless and get in a wreck and not to fish at all. Not to mention yours and others safety:wink:

6. flattymatty

flattymatty New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I agree. Life is too short and too precious. That extra ten miles an hour you go over the speed limit will definitely get you a ticket and compromise your safety and ability to control your vehicle, but think about it.....YOU ONLY GET TEN MILES FURTHER AN HOUR!!! Not worth it:wink:

7. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    That law is there for a reason!!! It's to save life's ... Both YOUR'S and MINE, Pulling that extra wieght make's for slowing down your truck alot harder and longer not to mention getting hit broadside by heavy wind's and the boat/ trailer is out of control. And God forbid life's where lost cause you wanted to be fisrt on the river .

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  8. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Now, I agree speeding may land you a ticket..

But, I'm not going to jump on this emotional bandwagon here...

The Hiway Patrol has turned into a profit center for the state, and that seems to be their main concern lately..

Regarding safe driving and towing,,
    Speed is not necessarily a big factor if your truck/trailer, etc, is Rated for the job, and in good condition..tires, Brakes,, etc.
    and, you're driving abilities are up to par..

However,, inattention,, TAILGATING.. just bad driving,, lack of experience,, these are the factors causing most accidents..
    For those that don't possess quality driving skills/knowledge. Slow down..You can't think that fast...

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    The highway patrol is on the hunt. City police is on the hunt - especially Los Angeles with the traffic light photo traps, and the state is broke so you know they are going to be looking to boost up their profits. All the more reason for us to be aware and careful out there. Even seat belts is becoming more and more enforced now.

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Heck, I don't give them a reason to stop me. :wink:

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i beieve this post started cause one guy got a darn ticket. most of us drive slower. i drive no more than 60. even without boat. well, 5 miles over limit if boat isn't on most of time. but can we stop with the lectures? i love it when some idiot flies by me doing 75 or more. gets the cops attention of me. LOL
    gary

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    That use to be me back in the days. LOL. A few traffic schools and dad on me got me in check for that. Those alarms did not helped me as advertised. LOL. I75 in Georgia has stretches or use to have stretches that is 75 for the limit.I have never seen so many people flying anywhere like on that highway. :crazy:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  13. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Thanks Jonathan, always good to be reminded :cool2:

14. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    How fast I drive depends on what I'm driving. In my truck I usually try to keep my cruse set on 70. Seems to get the best mileage right below 2,000 rpms. If I happen to be towing I stay very close to 55 mainly because I understand how much further it takes to stop towing a trailer.
    Now on my Bike I usually cruise between 75 and 80. The big TC96 with a 6 speed doesn't even smooth out until you get above 70.
    My old FLH I used to cruise 55-60 and it would do so all day long day in and day out with no problems but at 65 or higher for any period of time and it would shake itself apart.

15. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Not sure what stretch of road ya talkin about, but there is a stretch of I-10 with Hiway patrol flyin the sky and plenty officers out there to write the tickets.

16. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    i'm with robb
    i give the"man" no reason to stop me
    i've been "stopped" before ,keep it clean and foolow laws and you have no problem
    and to snagged2,know your limits,just use4 common sense

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I seen that sign stating that. I believe it is near Palm Springs or before Indio. It is somewhere in that vacinity.

18. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    and it is!!

19. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    the trick is go with the flow(of traffic):wink: w/trailer slow lane and cruz n at 64 or truck traffic speed, keep the passing to a very minimum w/out trailer fast lane and 79, made a LOT of trips and had the patrol pass many times without a look going 80(there look n for the guy bust n the speed limit by 10+ and love the going 20 over) . kinda funny run in AZ got speed limits of 75 on the interstates and ya can pull a trailer at that also:confused2:

20. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    On highway 5 out here speed limit is 70 but pulling a trailer/boat is still 55 ..I have a 40 foot travel trailer and no way would i want to try and stop that beast going over 55:eek:oooh: it's dy wieght is just under 8000#