Driving through lots of tree stumps.

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Drawout, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Ok heres a question , what are the side effects of hitting stumps some of the stumps just seem to jump out at ya lol. What dangers do they pose if you are just idling barely moving through the trees can it damage motor badly if you keep hitting stumps ?

2. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Big thing to remember is to keep your motor unlocked so it can bump up to shallow drive. You are doing the right thing by going slow. I have never torn up a motor and I have hit plenty over the years. Just take it easy.

One thing to remember is to keep a sheer pin or two in the boat. That will be the weakest leak to save the gears.

Sounds to me like you are up in the really good fishing holes!

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Johnny every time a soft metal comes in contact with an object while one or the other is in motion it causes damage. Now a stump under water may not seem to be hard but you take into account that your boat is aluminum and that lower unit is aluminum the stump is going to come out the winner. When you put a small ding in the boat or just bump the lower unit it causes undue stress on the boat and lower unit
    If you going to work those stumps after those fish I would suggest getting a trolling motor and working those things real slow.

4. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Roger that

Pick up a good used trolling motor and use it to work the stumps. A trolling motor prop is a LOT cheaper than the damage you will eventually do to your outboard.

I picked up a used MinKota with the composite "unbreakable" shaft in the 46 LB rating for $39.95 at the local pawn shop in great condition.

5. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thx guys i have a trolling motor so i guess i better start using it in the thick stuff.Dont wanna hurt my old outboard.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Robert his motor doesn't have a shear pin. It will either tear the hub out or break the prop or bend the shaft and so on.