Driving in 4 wheel drive

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by RiverKing, Feb 7, 2007.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Any one ever noticed that if you are driving in 4 wheel drive, that it is sort of hard to steer, or hard to control the car??

2. ribmaster

ribmaster New Member

State:
    TX
    umm yeah it is big time

3. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Good...So its not just my SUV...LOL

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Matt, believe it or not a california boy can be a 4 wheeler person....... I have done a lot of driving in snow and ice with and without 4 wheel... Some of the 4x4 systems have limited slip from side to side and some slip front to back depending on the 4x4 unit... If it is locked from side to side, one wheel is truning at one radius and the outer wheel is on another one... That might be the problem that you are experiencing.... on dirt or snow/ ice their is some give that the system has.... but when you are on hard ground, something needs to give.

In the service... i experienced a steering problem with my 2 1/2 ton truck on the street, as in felt as though it was hopping thru a turn....

On my old Dodge Ramcharger 4x4 it was full time 4x4 and if you wanted to connect the front diff to the back/ then you could pull on the gear case link, and lock front to back.... but you could not do it when applying the brakes..... So when I locked it up... as front and back... I did have some 4 wheel drive..... if one wheel on the front started spinning I was stuck, and had to put chains on to prevent the spin.... Often it didnt matter which wheel would spin... front or back .... You see I did not have a real 4 wheel drive unit.... mickey mouse....... but I have driven other 4x4 units... most of my experiece was on the road and not off road....
    what kind of 4x4 unit or vehicle to you have?

bayrunner ray

5. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

This is my first 4 wheel drive car, it is an 1995 isuzu rodeo V6 4x4, and we got about 5 inches of snow last night, and on my way home from work, i drove home in regular 2 wheel drive, and it did good...when i got about a mile from my house i wanted to throw it in 4 wheel to see if there was a noticable diffence..Actually it seemed it did worse in 4 wheel, cause i was pretty much all over the road...It was like the steering had a mind of its own, i was drifting from side to side, and really didnt feel in control...Now, i have been stuck in mud and snow in that car, and put in 4 wheel and it does great in situations like that..So i just didnt know if the 4 wheel was meant for being stuck and things, or if it was really made to drive down the road...Im not much of a car guy, so i dont know alot of the jargon..LOL....All i know is that its 4 a wheel drive truck

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    4 wheel drive simply means that all four wheels pull at once rather than two. They will react differently as well. If you feel the hop in the front wheels, there is probably way too much traction for you to have it in 4wd. As a matter of fact it is widely accepted that running it in 4wd on dry pavement is not good for it. If you are sliding in four wheel drive, it should also be true that you would slide worse in 2wd. When in two wheel drive if your rear starts to slide, you ease up on the gas and turn your wheel in the direction of the slide. In 4wd depending on other traffic of course, if you start sliding you give it some gas and turn toward the slide and pull yourself out of it. I had to tow my wife up the hill last night. For the last 10 years I have gotten her a 4wd to drive in winter, but since it has been mild..... needless to say I am in the doghouse.... Oh well it ain't the first time and dang sure won't be the last! :embarassed:

7. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Do be driving in 4 wheel drive on pavement. 1st when comming out of 4 wheel drive you should always back up a few feet to make sure everything is disengaged. Front end hopping is caused by the outer wheel having to turn fasted than the inside wheel forcing slippage in the frontend. Driving straight is no different. Your front tires will normally be more worn than the rear, making them smaller in diameter. The smaller tires will have to rotate more than one complete turn to keep up with the rear. With the transfer case engaged and differant diameter tires, even marginal, will cause extreme pressure on the chain in the transfer case causing the front tire to actually ,in a sense, spin out while driving. This will put a stain on u-joint, or cv's, wear out your transfer case, and wear out tires.

8. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Just to clarify..I wasnt driving on dry pavement, there was 5 inches of snow on the ground..I drove home from work in regular 2 wheel, and it was doing fine, no problems...I then threw it in 4 wheel like a mile from my house to see if i could tell a big difference...Thats when the sliding and sterring problems occured...It wasnt dry pavement

9. pokerkat

pokerkat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    lol it could be the fact that all four tires are trying to turn at once and if you dont know how that happens then just picture just four tires hooked together and turning at 45 degree angle, they all can't do it at once, four wheel drive is meant for sticky situation or plan ole' fun but not meant for extreme turning unless you have the right float suspension.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ive noticed there is a big diff. but that was how I thought it was supposed to react ,after all you got a whole nother drive train going and its also steering so it should feel different than reg.two wheel

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    We had snow icey conditions a few weeks ago.
    I ran into some bad spots on the interstate and switched into 4 hi and it drives alot better in those conditions. Its footing is more sure. It's not trying to wander.

I suspect if its that much harder to drive that you may need to have it checked out. You may have a front wheel that isn't pulling.

12. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    My first thought when reading this is to have your ball joints checked out.
    I know for a fact working in a Jeep/Oldsmobile dealership a worn balljoint will make a 4x4 slide and turn much worse than you would think.

As others have said tho it could just be the fact you got all 4 tires on a slick surface.Like MarkJ said my 4x4 also drives like a champ in 4 high under the conditions you described.

13. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    It sounds like what Mark J said, you may have one wheel not engaging. I've driven 4 wheel drives for years and never had any steering problems. I might get a little over convident on slick roads and drive a little faster then I should in 4 wheel drive because they don't stop any better then 2 wheel drives. You may want to have it checked out just for the peace of mind that it is working properly.

14. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    the truck goin all over the road was because it was actually reacting when u turned the wheel. most folks that drive with a rear wheel drive vehicle in the snow have problems when they start to use a 4x4 or a front wheel drive car. U will have more controll with 4x4, it would be physically impossible for u to have less while driving on snow or ice.

15. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

I wasnt turning, I was going on a straight road....The car was drifting and vearing on its own...And the steering felt loose or something...I have driven in front wheel drive cars before..It is hard to explain, it just felt like when it was in 4 wheel drive, i couldnt control the car very well, like i was going to drift off the road or something

16. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    going to toss my 2 cents in.

not sure if your truck has a limited slip diff up front or not. had the same problem on a bronco a few years ago. the front diff required a special fluid just for the limited slip. once I got that in it was fine.

I no longer have to worry about it since I have gone with detroits on my toy. its just like hearding a cat on hardball roads....lots of fun.

you may want to see what type of diff you have on your truck and go from there.

17. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I would have it checked out. I drive a 4x4 ranger and it handles awesome in the snow, dirt and mud.

18. catfishinrepoman

catfishinrepoman New Member

State:
    georgia
    when you put it in 4x it will pull the vehicle along...where you turn the wheel the truck will go...thats why it works good and if it has something to grip it will just slide and drift...like on loose snow...also if you bought the truck used you might want to have someone check out the front gears ....make sure they are the same ratio as the rear gears