drivers console

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Chalk, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Chalk

Chalk Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    I'm looking to build a new drivers console for my pontoon. Does anyone have any pics or ideas and somethings that have worked for them? Please share I have been racking my mind try to come up with a design for this.:wink:

2. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    We had a guy make us one out of fiberglass when he rebuilt a pontoon a few years ago.

3. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a good one... wasn't cheap ($450), cost the same as a new fiberglass one but got it exaclty like I wanted it. Had it made by a plastics company using/forming sheet pvc. They water jetted the gauge and switch holes, reinforced the steering wheel and throttle areas.... painted OD green with plastic approved paint... works great and tough. NO WOOD to rot which was my goal. I'll get some pics and get them over to you soon.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  4. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I think the one we had was less than $300. It had plywood reinforcement where the steering wheel and gauges go, and we cut our own hole for the steering wheel, and this boat didn't have any gauges. I guess it comes down to what you want in it.

5. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    depends on how fancy you want it,last one I built for a old poontoon was a plywood box made of 1/2 inch thick material and 2x2's in the corners and base for stuctural integrity,hole saws cut the guage holes ,etc. bottom was open with holes through the floor to run cables wires and drainage through,outlasted the boat and motor! And worked well for as long as I had it,and till the motor fried. It had upright rod racks mounted on the front side and some bucket shelfs installed on the sides for odd gear,flat top with drink holders.

You can go real fancy or real simple just depends what you want to do to the boat,the fancier you get the higher the cost.

6. Chalk

Chalk Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    Thanks for the replies, I'm not looking for nothing fancy just useable. Would love to see some pics if you guys had some.

Thanks,:wink: