Dripping outboard

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Katfish Kern, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    I have a 50 hp Evinrude. I have always left the the motor trimmed up when not in use. But now I have a garage bif enough to keep the boat in, but I have to trim the motor down to fit. I noticed the other day a slow, slow drip coming from the lowerunit by the prop. It dark black like oil. It is an extremely small amount. Is this just some left over fuel mix from when I run the motor? I do run it every 2 weeks at the house if I don't put in the water. Something to worry about, orjust residual fuel mix?? Thanks for any help.:0a22:

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It sounds like oil from the exhaust. I'd check the lube in the lower unit. Make sure it's clean and water free. If it's really clean then you know the black oil is'nt from the lower unit but, from the exhaust.

3. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thx for the reply. I was also thinking that could be it from the exhaust. I dont really know a lot about outboards, How do I check the oil in the lower unit?

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Most i ever seen had 2 screws in it. If you have to add, i always took the bottom screw out and screw in my pump and then remove the top screw and fill till it runs out the top.

5. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I had a 1999 Johnson 25HP that did the same thing. Was told by mechanic is was unburned oil. you will get that if you idle a lot

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Put Sta-bil in the gas stop running it at idle every 2 weeks and I bet the drip stops. Sounds live oil that is not being burned while your idling it every 2 weeks. Shoot with the Sta-bil or seafoam in the gas. There's no reason to run it every few weeks.
    Pete

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Unburned fuel, do as pete suggests.

8. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks fellas. Yall have given me piece of mind, and saved me from a outboard mechanic!:smile2: