Drinking Guides?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ShilohRed, Mar 6, 2008.

1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Last year was talking to this guy. And he told me about this guide he hired for the day for him and his 12 year old son.
    Well everything was find until about 11 am. Then the guide opened a beer. The guy asked what he was doing? And the Guide told him it was hot and he was having a drink. Well the guy that was paying for the trip, Informed the guide he could cut the drinking out while he was paying him. Or take him back to the ramp. And there would not be any pay for the other half of the trip. Well the Guide did not drink anymore that day.
    I told him I would have been just like him. No drinking on the water, And if the guide ever got caught he would be out of Business. Being US Coast Guard approved. That is a No NO.
    Some people would not have had a problem with it. But I think if you hire a guide and he is drinking I would be the same way.
    What would you have done if it happened to you?
    I have heard of more then one that does this. And one will even tell you in advance that is will drink his beer. And he does have a lot of days with no one paying him..
    Pete

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Pete ,I would have done the same. When I was a guide for goose hunters ,a client brought out a bottle of crown royal . I told him either put it up or we leave now . no drinkin with guns around me.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I would have let em get hammered and then take all his stuff. Includein the boat.:wink:

4. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nope, no drinking for a guide Im paying for.when we get back well thats different. smokey

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Pete, I am afraid I wouldn't have been so nice about it. I can't deal with alcohol and boats....It just don't mix well with me!!!!

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    depends. thats a little early for one to be starting with the beer. if it was ME and ME only. ide probably ask for one. less drunk if we split them lol. but me and my son. NO! and i might have been a little mad he didnt ask me first with children on board. even though its his boat if im paying that makes it mine for the time im buying. like renting a house.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    To me , there is a huge difference in having a beer or 3 and a 12 pack of empties rolling around in the bottom of the boat.:wink:
    No empties on my boat, I'm working on a 12 volt kegerator setup.:smile2:
    Come the weekend I'm looking to get into a good Bavarian or monk beer.:smile2:

8. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I agree with JW I don't do alcohol and boats at all. I don't drink while I'm fishin, had trouble finding a pole one time:eek:oooh:. Ya know come to think of it it's been about fifteen years and I still haven't found it.

9. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I agree with all, he can have a water or soda, then when we get back to the ramp he can share that beer with me while we clean fish!!!!!!

10. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    i guide and the deal is no boze what so ever on my boat, this is up front, they can bring anything they want but no boze, I don't think it make for a good day on the lake. so far no one conplained, I alway have a cooler of water and soda on board but most times my client bring there own stuff, I also have a thermos of coffee for the early morning trips.

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    That would be a good question to ask before even hiring a guide. Correct me if im wrong but I see it as a job when you get hired to perform a service. I myself am not allowed to drink beer during work hours and dont know of a lot of places where you can. I say save it for the end of the day after a hard day at work.

12. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Here is the law in Kentucky from the boating regulations.

DRINKING IN PUBLIC AND
    PUBLIC INTOXICATION
    (KRS 222.202)
    Kentucky law specifically prohibits
    the drinking of alcoholic beverages in
    public places (this excludes establishments
    licensed to sell such beverages)
    and the waterways of this state are considered
    public place

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The last Drinking Guide I was involved with took me around to at least five nice bars then home! Man was she pretty, even before the first drink! :big_smile:

14. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i went out with a guy, not a guide and he drank while we were fishing. i had a couple of beers, but this guy drank on the ride home while towing the boat. i didnt feel real comfortable, and i havent fished with him since. i dont expect a taxi driver to drink on the job, so i am sure not going to pay a guide to drink on the job. one or 2 beers after the day is over is fine, but not while me and my son are entrusted to his care on his boat that we are paying him to take us out on.

15. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Yeah I agree, no alcohol in the boat.Especailly whne you are paying for it and you have a kid with you.There is a time and a place for everything and that is not it.If he wanted a beer that bad he should have asked if it would be okay first.In a business where repeat customers and referrals are your main source of business I dont think that was a smart move.

16. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I look forward to the day that its a ticket for even have beer in a boat. So many people running 80 MPH each day on the water ways here. and almost hitting or hitting boats.:angry:
    I do think where its legal to have it in a boat and your fishing. The one driving the boat should not be drinking at all. And if caught take the boat away from them.:big_smile:
    Taking others life's in your hands is not a good thing. So may people think that 3 or 6 beers has not effect on them. But on the water it does.:eek:oooh:
    Pete

17. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    They just placed a law here on the 1st of this month, where even in the parks it is illegal to publicly display alcohol, not to have it in the park but to publicly show display of an alcoholic beverage on the premises. I cant tell you how many ppl fell off the ramp(backed up too far)and almost drowned the tow vehicle also last week...They were clearly drunk after being out all day on the boat, I personally think it should be outlawed period on the water just like u were driving a vehicle....................JMO

18. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree with most of what has been said. I don't think people should drink and drive any type of gas operated vehichles. On the other hand I enjoy fishing from the bank and I also enjoy a couple of cold beers. When I do drink I make sure that I am prepared to spend the night at the lake and wont be driving anywhere. I clean up any cans and try to leave the place better than I found it. I dont agree with drinking around children either.:big_smile:

19. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Pete I totally agree with you. In this case it was also a bad influence on the kid.

20. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Pete, you were absolutely right, BUT, NEVER TRUST A GUY WHO DOESN'T LIKE BEER AND CATFISHING!