Drinking and driving

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ace, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    The following is a true

The "Environmental Engineering News" published some rather sobering information about punishment for drunk driving convictions in other countries.

In Australia, the names of drunk drivers are printed in newspapers under the caption, "He's drunk and in jail."

In Malaysia the driver is jailed and, if married, the spouse is jailed.

In the United Kingdom, Finland and Sweden there's an automatic jail term of one year.

In Turkey, drunk drivers are driven twenty miles out of town and forced to walk back ten miles.

In Bulgaria, a second drunk-driving conviction results in capital punishment.

In El Salvador, your first offense is your last -- execution by firing squad

:waaaht: :misdoubt: :sweat: :tire: :too_sad:

:0010:

2. BamaCats Lady

BamaCats Lady New Member

State:
    Luverne, Alabama
    And people complain about the drunk driving laws here!
    Lisa

3. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I have said before I lost my Dad and one brother to their own drinking and driving so in my book they had the ulimate punishment for their offence but today nearly 25 yrs. for my Dad and at least15 for my brother our family is still paying the price to all who read this DO NOT drink and drive you cold pay like we are or worse I am sorry if I got off track it happens when anyone mentions drinking and driving

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    If you drink get someone who don`t to drivebetter still leave your car at home:big_smile:

5. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    There was a family around here not too long ago that was killed by a drunk driver, their father.
    They lived out in the country and he had been out drinking and was headed home. His wife and kids were headed into town to do a little shopping.
    He comes around a curve and hit's hit wife's car head on killing her and their children, and he walked away without a scratch.

There are so many innocent people killed by drunk drivers and it's sad.
    The punishment for DUI needs be a lot worst than it is now?

Ken

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If you drink and drive you should report to the nearest underground jail with a lifetime supply of tooth brushes. Why an underground jail ? Because if you care about your fellow human so little you should never see the light of day again. There is one other method of making sure you don't see daylight again but your lucky I don't believe in capital punishment.

7. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I don't think that anyone should drink and drive. There has been alot of innocent people hurt and killed on account of people's stupidness. Also, alot of families crushed. Families never get over it. They just learn how to deal after years of heartache. So many children killed that never got to live out their precious little lives. It hurt me so bad just thinking about it. I think they get off pretty easy around here(u.s.a.). I don't mind a little casual drinking just keep it at home(or fishing) or have a driver.

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    They can't make the Laws tough enough .I used to work for this famly and they went on vacation but didn't make it home. Drunk driver hit them head on over in East St. Louis.Killed mom ,dad, and teen age daughter.The two boys made it but lost everything they loved. The girl was 9 when I started for them,19 when she died. One of the hardest furnels I do believe Ihave ever went too. THey was like family to me. Still miss them and that was back in 97.GOD BLESS and STAY SAFE.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like what they do in El Salvador, but make it for the third offense.
    The first offense should be a minimum of a year in jail, at hard labor but there is no such thing anymore.

Will never do much with drunk drivers, a big percentage of the judges are drunks and the general public would be against stronger drunk laws.

10. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    You know the way I see it is if anyone gets a D U I they should lose their licence for the first offence then jail for second along with community service like interact with familys that have been effected by drunk drivers and or be there when a family learns about a loved one not coming home because of a drunk driver

11. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Theres truly no reason to even get so drunk in the first place but some people always find a way to so. Responsibility is hard to come by when you're wasted - just don't get wasted. Thats the key.

12. BamaCats Lady

BamaCats Lady New Member

State:
    Luverne, Alabama
    All of these things are so easy to say. But having grown up with an alcoholic, 1st-they don't NEED a reason to drink. They'll always find one. 2nd - You can take them to be with a family for a notification that a loved one won't make it home, but it won't matter. Alcoholics are generally too selfish to care about anyone but themselves.
    Yes, it is tremendously hard on the survivors! & my heart goes out to each & every one of them & will continue to do so. Fortunately my dad never hit anyone. He was however pulled over. He lost his DL for a year. This was a bargain that his lawyer struck with the judge for no jail time & no community service. My dad would NEVER have survived jail, even at the county level. But I think Community Service would have done him good. Something really humbling... like shoveling up cow $hit. I would have been happy to drive him to a farm somewhere....
    I guess my point is that you aren't going to stop people from drinking, (Dad has stopped on his own, recently.) unless they want too. It's just like smoking. Call it an addiction. Call it a sickness. Call it whatever you want. It isn't an easy thing to stop once you are hooked.
    Lisa (surving child of an alcoholic)

13. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    There is absolutly no excuse to drink and drive. I havent lost anyone in the family but ill tell you I hate it with a passion. Boating and drinking as well its just stupid and thats all I have to say about that.

14. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    drinking and driving is SUPER BAD

i know i willl ABSOLUTELY NEVER DO IT UNDER ANY SURCOMESTANCES and will never RIDE WITH ANYONE WHO HAS DRANK

its a VERY UNNECESSARY RISK THAT SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL!! TIMES!!

Jeff

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Lisa, I grew up with my dad being a drunk but I still have no pity for them.
    The only good thing, he didn't like to drive sober so DWI wasn't a problem. That was the reason I was doing most of the driving at 13.

I don't think ANY excuse is acceptable for repeat DWI's.

16. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    nowdays the courts can be bought .

some people that are convicted do actually do time or lose their driveing privledges.
    others that have the cash can pay their way out avoiding the punishment they should recieve by hireing the "DUI LAWYERS" that you see in the yellow pages .
    we have one hear called the dui king he has gotten hundreds of people off
    the hook .
    this does nothing but cheapin the court system.
    what message does this send?

one local drunk here in the area has over 25 dui charges yet he still drives??
    i think he finally had to do year in jail recently.

i personally know a guy thats had a dozen or more and
    he finally had to go to a rehab type country club on weekends for 4 months wow harsh penaltys
    our legal system is corrupt and its no wonder why.
    anything can be decided with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    dont fool your self enough$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    and your values and ideas can be swayed.

back to the subject there is a sign when entering belleville illinois that boldly states BELLEVILLE POLICE COME DOWN HARD ON DRUNK DRIVERS

there should be a disclaimer or add-on to that sign just as boldly printed
    that states ST.CLAIR COUNTY DUI LAWYERS AND JUDGES CAN BE BOUGHT
    THEY ACCEPT MASTER CARD, DISCOVERY, AND VISA.