drillings

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by whodaman, Apr 17, 2008.

1. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    have you guys ever seen a drilling if not a drilling is a combination gun consisting of 3 barrels most of the time they are a a side by side shot gun with a rifle barrel on the bottom but my question or thought is wouldnt it be better to have the rifle barrel closer to the sight say on top instead of the bottom but none the less they are beautiful guns if you like over and unders and engraved guns like myself you will want one of these guns so of course they start at about 2000 to 3000 now i might be able to get away with spending that on a boat but just a rifle my girlfriend might use it to shoot me but hey atleast i could say i was shot by a really nice gun if i make it ya know but heres a link to check them out if youve never seen one http://www.auctionarms.com/search/auctions.aspx?ab=431

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Corey,I love the looks,But I'm financially challenged for them. Besides,I think a bolt action is a much better hunting type rifle.

3. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    yeah i agree 223reload they are way out of my price range but like you said love the look of them and i think your right on with the bolt action but a over and under is awesome for some pheasants and its a cool looking gun

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    It started out being invited to "Tea" while sight seeing the farms and country in Scotland.

I was fortunate enough to be invited to look one over and fire it in Scotland.It was German made.They use them for"Stag,Boar,Hare and Grouse",to quote the owner.Heavy and accurate.I think I drooled with envy.

The elderly owner was extremely nice after he saw me eyeballing it.I have never seen another.He talked as odd as the gun looked.He also made my day and gave me one to remember for 49 years so far.He seemed as proud of it as I was to be allowed to handle and shoot it.I don't blame him a bit.It would take some getting use to,to handle it in a rush on game.I also saw some fine old English Doubles with the names you read about that the same gentleman and his son had.I thought he was saying "PRETTY".He was saying "Purdy"!I do believe that they were well off.Envy!Envy!Envy!I don't remember the cartridge,but I do remember that it was rimmed like our 30-30's.

He also fed me and took me back.It was one of my very good old days.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I remember that the maneuvering that had to be done with the front trigger to operate the 3 barrels made me think that it would be very slow and clumsy in a hurry UNLESS you used it daily and it became a part of you.I know that they used them in Africa.I often wonder how many were killed while small game & bird hunting by a Lion or Leopard while they fumbled with that front trigger.

Savage use to make some very good over under shotgun rifle combos.I always wanted a .22 lr/20 gauge which I thought would make a perfect Squirrel gun.I have used and shot these borrowed.Not bad at all.

I helped a old Gunsmith in the 50's who restored/repaired many very old firearms.I do not remember a one of them being a Drilling.I do remember double rifles.I remember a chewed up and splintered stock on one which he said he was told that a Hyena had chewed on.That was the day I decided to never pet a Hyena!I don't think this incident was caused by a animal/human thing.He was told that someone had a accident,bled on the stock and in the excitement the gun was left out or behind.The Hyena carried it off and gnawed on it.The trackers found it.My child's imagination of a charging Man eating Lion killing,eating the Great White Hunter and chewing on his gun for desert went down the drain.Funny how I remember this over 50 years later and I often can not remember what I ate last!

I think the "Gotta have a scope"generation put Savage out of business with the O/U as well as the price.It was unbelievable at the number of cheap,extremely narrow field of view,could not see out of scopes that every youth had to have on a .22 rf or they could not hunt back then.The open sights were far better than most of those early scopes.Ah,the stupidity and stupid crap we do growing up,thinking that we are cool all the while the ones who have got it together and grown up are laughing at us.Some never out grow it.I may well be one of them looking at all of the "Gotta have crap" I have bought.Much of it not worth carrying home!

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

6. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    peewee i just shot a savage .22lr/20ga that my fishing/hunting partner owns it was his childhood gun and he let me borrow it to teach my nephew how to shoot the kid had one heck of a time and your right that is the best little squirrel and rabbit gun he even used it a couple times pheasant hunting. he said he had a guy mabye 5 or 6 years ago offer him about 1000 bucks for the gun and he said man if i sold that gun my dad would shoot me plus its been my gun since i was a kid its worth awhole lot more to me then a 1000 bucks

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i thought you were talking about the combos like the springfield ar-7 'survival rifle', but the drilling is a beautiful gun. i'd love to have one in my collection, but i know better than to even look at the price tag!