Driftmaster vs Attwood

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by Ictalurus Punctatus, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I'm rigging my boat with a few more rod holders. I already have four Driftmasters that are 15 degree pitch, and have 6" extensions on them. How do the Attwood/Scotty type rod holders compare? Just looking at them, I think I would like the adjustable pitch. I don't want to sacrafice durability that particular feature though. Any thoughts or testimonials?

Jon

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Not on those rodholders but the first guide I fished with at Santee had Down East rodholders on his boat and they were the simplest of them all and are fully adjustable as for angle.My boat by coincidence has 14 of them on it.Great company with excellent customer service.I made a small suggestion to them to improve the rodholder and they did it,Plus had me send all mine back and gave me the new ones free.:smile2:

3. JRA

JRA New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use all three (Driftmaster, Scotty, and Downeast). I think the driftmasters and downeast holders are stronger and more durable. I would personally recommend either one. I use the driftmasters for drifting or still fishing, but I troll for muskies, stripers, etc. with the Downeast. If you get the downeast, get the salty series. They are made for big game but are just as easy to use with lighter tackle. May I ask where you got the 6" extensions for the driftmasters. I have never seen those, but a 6" extension would sure make my life easier.

4. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    im putting 4 of the salty downeast holders on a board across the back of my boat. each holder has 2 clamps to hold them on but i see there is a solid mount avaiable. you guys think it would make a differance??? or just use clamps???:roll_eyes:

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Bill I have a rail around my 21 ft center console that I had built just for the rod holders.Clamps are easy to use but I prefer anything that doesn't have to be tightened down or checked all the time.If it can come loose it will come loose.The salty models have a larger rod holding area to accomodate the bigger rod handles of salt water gear.Down East wins my vote hand down for ease of use.:big_smile:

6. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ya it would definately look better think ill call them to see about gettin 4 solid mount brac kets down east gets my vote too

7. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    On Driftmaster's you can get a longer shaft by going to the driftmaster web site.They are a special order item and they make them as needed.Give Calvin at Driftmaster a call.

8. JRA

JRA New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use the Downeast Salty S-10 clamp-on model on the transom of my boat. I do not trailer them with the rod holder on; they seem to vibrate loose when your going down the road. I, however, have never had one vibrate loose on the water. I also use a rail mount Salty and never had a problem with it either.

9. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i called the company to see how much the solid mount brackets where and he said send him the clamps and hell send me th solid mounts. cant beat that. thats what i would have wanted any how but the store i ordered them from just orderd the original clamp on ones.:smile2:

10. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jon, I have twenty of the Attwoods on my boat and I love em. The fully adjustable rodholders are great for any type of fishing. I have fished with other people that had the driftmasters and wasn't impressed. Also don't let the fact that the Attwoods are all plastic deter you from trying them. I have never had one fail and have been using them over three years. Vern