Driftmaster spacing - how far apart

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by sds888, Jun 2, 2007.

1. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    How far apart should driftmasters be placed I have a 17 foot boat. the boat dealer say I should only have 3 on each side.

2. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    It really all depends on what type of fishing you're doing. If you are hanging baits straight down with 0 degree holders, then I'd say three per side is about right. If you are getting angled holders then you could put about 8 across the side without a console and anchor up sideways and fish that way. It all depends on your style and how you want to do things. There ain't no set way. Look aorund the pics on the site and get some ideas. I learned by trial and error. Don't do that, it makes holes in your boat! good luck

3. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    thanks also has anyone used the duo rod holders from driftmaster?

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Stephen, I use the l'il pro duo holders and love them. I can put the rods at an angle for anchoring or drifting, or place them horizontally for fishing straight down. Very easy to get the rods out when a fish hits, too. The Pro models are stouter, and will hold a larger diameter rod butt, but they are probably heavier than I need. I've never bent one of mine, so far, even though I've hung the bottom and drifted by, with the rod tip pulled completely up under the boat. I highly recommend those holders.
    As for spacing, I have seen some folks with boats like yours that have holders every couple of feet all around. What some do is install extra bases and then move the holders around the boat as needed. I think you could easily fish 4 rods from one side of your boat. I sometimes have 5 or 6 on a side of my 17' boat, depending on how I'm fishing. Good luck! :smile2:

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Tommy Told You Straight.Works Great for Me Also.J.D.

6. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Thanks I am going to buy some in the next couple of weeks. I know I am at least going to buy 6 holders and I want to buy more bases. Tommy do you think I can get away with the little pro or do I need to go ahead and spend the extra cash while I have it and get the pro. I just use shakespere catfish rods.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I think the l'll pro will do just fine, although it isn't a lot more expense to go to the bigger ones. The Pro model is great on large boats such as pontoons, and where someone fishes exclusively for monster fish, but, if the drag is set properly, I think it would be a freak thing to damage one of the smaller ones. I stopped by where they make them a couple weeks back and the guy I was with bought a complete set of 8 and bases while we were there (he got the Pro model for his pontoon). My son-in-law bought a set there for his pontoon, also, of the smaller ones. Don't necessarily save money, but they had everything needed. Basspro and some of the other stores don't carry more than a few in stock, unless you mail order, maybe.
    Depending on where you are planning to purchase yours, your local tackle shop should be able to easily get all you want.

8. Master_Taxidermist

Master_Taxidermist New Member

State:
    OK
    These work great. We had them on our bass boat until we sold it.