Driftmaster Side Mount

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by karaep, Jan 1, 2010.

1. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    Has anyone ever use the side mounting hardware to mount a Driftmaster rod holder? If so, I would appriciate if you could post pictures. The way I understnad it you have the end of the bolt and nut sticking out of the gunnel. Seems like it might get in the way when your boat is docked or when I put the cover on.

Also, should I install pro or li'l pro holders? The li'l pro seem like they would be more than sufficient when using Ambassadeurs with bait clickers like I do. I currently use four li'l pro holders out the back of the boat and don't know if I should swith over to pro. I've added three more rods lately that I'd like to fish out the side of the boat. My boat is an Alumacraft MV1648 NSC.

Thanks for any suggestions

2. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    I drift with the 3/8 threads with drgs tight and I have not bent one yet. You should be ok. The rod takes most of the abuse!:big_smile:

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    dont you mean checkout the monster rodholders :wink: go checkout what the monsters have to offer..... www.monsterrodholders.com cheaper than the driftmasters and a much better and stronger design... also a lifetime guarantee!!!!

4. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    Thanks for the post, the monster holders look fine but I prefer Driftmaster. They are the original and tried and true. Besides, I don't think Monster has a mount to fit.

5. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I mounted a few like that on my jon boat. The nut is on the outside and then I cut the bolt of flush so it's not sticking out.

6. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    You could go with these bases and not have to worry about drilling holes and using bolts (at the bottom of the page):

http://hoovers11.com/Products.html

A bit pricey but no drilling, no extra hardware needs to be purchased (which makes them a little less pricey), and you can move them anywhere you want along the side rail.

7. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    The AB-Series (Ambassadeur) Rod Holders with a custom mount for my Alumacraft boat gunnel look great. But they are really expensive.

8. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    You wouldn't have to use their holders, you can use their bases with driftmaster holders.

9. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    I'm going to call on Monday and find out how much the mounts cost.

10. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    Well unfortunately the Hoovers rod holder mounts are made only for extruded gunnels. Mine are round. So I guess I'm back to the Driftmaster side mounts.

I sure would apppreciate a picture of one installed.

11. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Not for sure if this helps, but this is what I have.

Attached Files:

12. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    Kelley,

Thanks, that looks like a nice setup. You were able to use the star bases on your boats flat gunnel. These are the bases I'm considering using for my round gunnel.

Attached Files:

13. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    the lil pros will do just fine

14. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Not to be a smart-arse but they aren't the original or even close...They are a variation of a design that was patented back in 1891...W

15. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC

Do you remember the name of the product?

16. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I thought I posted here but I guess I didnt. You should contact steve at Monster. I contacted him and he has mounts for all kinds of boats, I needed some that could mount to the round rails on a sea chaser for my buddy he said he had them and I needed some for the square rails on a deck boat for myself and he said he has them. He said all the mounts he has arent on the web page so just send him a pm and talk to him

17. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    Thanks Ramon, I already bought the Driftmaster side mounts and Flatliner rod holders. I posted pictures of how I mounted them in my profile.