Driftmaster Rod Holders

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by kitsinni, Mar 4, 2009.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was thinking about getting some driftmaster rod holders and I have a couple questions. Is there a big difference between the pro and lil' pro holders, which do you suggest? Also what is the deal with the left/right threaded?

Thanks!

2. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    thats to keep from loosening that side rod holders when its pulled on it tighter:smile2:

3. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    I bought the 1/2 inch duo. Yes they are about the highest ones however the only one to give multi position. Also the other ones I did not know which angle i would like. If I did not like them them they are higher than the duo. I like the duo, I am glad I chose them. The 1/2 inch might have been overkill but so what. Good luck.

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Please go with the 1/2 inch.

They are stainless steel and they are much stronger. I've had both but upgraded to the 1/2 inch.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yes the there is a difference. The lil' pro is 3/8" steel rod and the pro is 1/2" Steel rod. Save your self some trouble and get the pro (1/2"). I have had the lil pro's before i got my pro's and had couple break. I know other people that have had the lil pro's as well and have had them break. The pro's are much better and they allow you to have a bigger handle fishing rod.

6. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo

I agree 100 %%%%% 1/2 inch is the way to go !!!!!!!!!!

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The 3/8 are plenty strong for fishing, but eventually they will get bent up. As far as breaking, Driftmaster uses stainless steel for the necks, but the upper part is just galvanized. The weld connecting the two is what breaks.... a better design could avoid the welds completely, but at least with 1/2 you have a bigger weld and it's less likely to fail. Crazy's comments on rod handle size are right on, my bigger Ugly Stiks will not fit in the 3/8 Duo's.

8. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    The 1/2" are much stronger. You may want to checkout the Monster rod holders also. Steve Douglas of Akwa-Lung came out with these. They are really nice as well.

9. TNYHWK1

TNYHWK1 Member

State:
    ROCKFORD ILLINOIS
    Yes Monster Rod Holders Is the way to go. I own 4, and just bought 3 more. Bad to the bone.

10. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,

Bad to the bone?

At $56.95 a copy they ought to be VERY BAD!

11. TNYHWK1

TNYHWK1 Member

State:
    ROCKFORD ILLINOIS
    Under $20 for the rod holder. I custom made my own mounts for my boat because I have no rail to mount to. Yes the factory mounts that rotate 360 deg. are tall dolla's. But I don't think they make a fishing rod you can get stuck in a monster holder. They are very nice.:smile2:

12. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    I went thru the reserch about driftmasters a couple weeks ago - majority of advice will be for the duos in the pro model - look up striper tackle.com out of georgia - best prices by far - $17 for the pro duos and $6 to $7 for the bases - cabela's wanted $24 just for the holders! With shipping to kansas I got 6 holders and 9 bases for $165 and some change - 95% of people will advise for these and I don't think the majority are wrong - you can look at the treads I put up and the responses - might help - good luck and the end result is that YOU need to be happy with what ya get as for me I'm on the DRIFTMASTER band wagon!!:wink:

13. fish13

fish13 New Member

State:
    missouri
    make sure to spend a little extra for the half inch

14. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I use Cabela's 360's and I love them. I paid 83 dollars for 4 with flush/side mounts.

15. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    Just received my 1/2 duos yesterday - I got MORE than what I exspected in a rod holder - these things are GREAT - 1/2 inch is alot of steel - if I have a fish break one of these I'll be amazed!! Also the coating is alot thicker and more durable than I exspected - thanks to everyone who sudjested these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink: Anyone else thinking of getting them STRIPER TACKLE. COM OUT OF GEORGIA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EXCELENT TURN AROUND TIME (1 WEEK) TO KANSAS:wink:

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    GREAT decision, Kyle! Those are the best rod holders, hands down, at least for my application.

Bill in SC

17. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    people interested in the Driftmasters and want a good deal may want to check out extreme fishing concepts out of NC....they have great turn around time and ship priority mail...i think the 1/2 Duos were around 16-17 and the bases like 5-8. The place in georgia mentioned sounds fair priced as well, just thought i would add another source for them.

18. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I just ordered 8 Driftmaster Li'l Pro Series Duo 265 0 or 30 Degree 3/8" Stainless holders and basses for 147.88 plus $9.00 in shipping for my pontoon from stripertackle.net. I know a few people have talked about the 3/8' breaking but think that would be pretty rare....if that did happen Drifmaster said they would replace it for FREE. Because of this i'm going with the smaller "footprint" of the Li'l Pro and saving some $$$.

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I know a few people have talked about the 3/8' breaking but think that would be pretty rare....if that did happen Drifmaster said they would replace it for FREE.>

Yes it would be rare, as a properly welded joint would be as strong or stronger than the metal itself. That said, the 3/8 holders are more proned to BEND from savage blue cat hits, or hangups while drifting. Once a holder starts getting bent, the metal gets fatigued and will eventually break. Though Driftmaster said they would replace it, I doubt that they would replace the rod and reel that you will lose. I am currently using 3/8 holders, and mine have been bent many times. I'm sure they must be getting weak spots here and there in the metal. For that reason, I am planning on ordering a dozen HALF INCH holders. The 3/8 holders may last a few years, but the half inch holders should be fairly bullet proof, and last as long as your boat will. If you tournament fish, or fish a WHOLE LOT, you need the half inch holders.

Bill in SC

20. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Should have said im from Iowa! No Blues around here just channels and Flats. :)